• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermalright SP97 reviewed! (best socket A heatsink till now)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Nice find! I heard about that heatsink coming out soon...wonder exactly when though. Its so cool with heatpipe heatsinks showing up finally. I beleive it was around 2 years..maybe more thermalright was showing off the SLK line of heatsinks at i beleive it was comdex. Then after a few pages showed the slk-900 with heatpipes...at the time most people i talked to figured it wouldnt be released for quite some time. FINALLY....always cool to see the new stuff in the prototyple before most people even know about it then get to see it actually finished and perform very good. :cool:

i was thinking the amd version of the sp-94 was going to come out soon...i heard it would be sometime around december, i hope this thing doesnt make my slk-900 totally obsolete :D

i just wish they would make a version that uses the socket mounting tabs...... my au13 doesnt have the holes. guess ill just get a swifty to replace my volcano 12.

u can always get an slk-900(a) a, u is for universal, a uses the retention clips...but yea the reason they dont is cuz of the weight of the massive copper heatsink wouldnt be very stable on the tiny clips on the socket, neither would it be very safe for your cpu...I wouldnt trust the clip method for mounting for something that massive

my volcano 12 weighs more than that theramalright and it mounts just fine with a clip. the best reaon i can see that they didnt want to do that is you have to cut a slot out of the fins unless you come up with some unique clip.

the 900 is perfectly fine..the sp-97 will just be the NEXT best thing afer the 947....just remember that u cant get the latest and greatest thing unless u still think that money STILL grows in trees, until thermalright comes out with a better cooler after the sp-97 then it's price should lower, but aside from all these issues, the slk-900 is an awesome cooler, u will just be getting maybe a ~3c difference, nothing to wet ur pants about if u are on a budget or do not like wasting money on the next best thing

Probably right before christmas I am guessing? Alot of people will be upgrading their computers for christmas I would imagine and it would be pretty good timing...thermalright probably is selling off the rest of their stock~drop the prices alot and clear em out kind of thing before the SP97 comes out.

Hey... I remember when the Sk-6 was $50 lol...nevermind. Anyways, the top of the line thermalright heatsink commands a premium...and many, many people will pay that. Makes sense but very possibly there will be some competition here for thermalright sometime soon. That will be good for us...cheaper prices on high end heatsinks and better performance too!

the mere effort of producing and material to make these heatsinks is quite costly. don't see how they would be making a profit if it was any cheaper..

What with the weight and costs and all they must add a decent profit margin on otherwise it wouldn't be worth making the things. I'd say min $10 profit for thermalright, $5-10 for the resellers.

Back