• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3.0ghz @ 3.4ghz Hit My Limit?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NiceGuy4

Registered
System
P4P800 Deluxe with latest drivers
P4 3.0ghz
Cosair XMS 2x512 PC3200

Bios
3.0 ghz overlocked to 3.4ghz @ FSB 228 can not get it stable
tryed vcore on auto & 1.5v & 1.65v & 1.7
DRR MHz & timings tryed auto &
1:1 @ 2-3-3-4 & 3-7-7-7-8
5:4 @ 2-3-3-4 & 3-7-7-7-8
3:2 @ 2-3-3-4 & 3-7-7-7-8

AGP/PCI currently locked
DRR Voltage tryed auto & 2.85v
AGP Voltage current 1.7 tryed 1.5 & 1.8

After everytime i change anything doing with memory i run memtest and no errors are found. I run prime95 and my workload temp is around 44C. Normaly my computer will restart but sometimes my mouse will freeze. I've tryed everything. Please help me out. Suggestions.

I had the same chip & memory as you do. I wasn't able to get the Corsair to run stable in 5:4 at all. Could get it moderately stable up to 225 1:1 (meaning it would pass only one hour of Prime), but wouldn't do 230ish in ratio at all. I believe that Corsair & the CH5 chips have problems in async mode with the 875/865's.

Best I did was 222 1:1 @ 2-6-3-2.

But I was able to get up 240fsb at 1.65v with this OCZ 3700 Gold. So it's your memory holding you back, I'd say, given my experience.

Xymurgy said:
I had the same chip & memory as you do. I wasn't able to get the Corsair to run stable in 5:4 at all. Could get it moderately stable up to 225 1:1 (meaning it would pass only one hour of Prime), but wouldn't do 230ish in ratio at all. I believe that Corsair & the CH5 chips have problems in async mode with the 875/865's.

Best I did was 222 1:1 @ 2-6-3-2.

But I was able to get up 240fsb at 1.65v with this OCZ 3700 Gold. So it's your memory holding you back, I'd say, given my experience.

Thank you for the help. Others have been thinking its my ram too. Any suggestions on some good high quality Dual DDR ram for overclocking?

I'd recommend the OCZ dual channel PC3700 Gold. I use it, and it works excellently. I'd think that a 3.0 would be able to get up to PC3700 speeds rather easily, even if on air (may need a slight voltage boost, so you may need "good" air cooling).

I can't really recommend any other memory. Back when I did my research on what memory to purchase (was aiming for at least a 233 fsb, but wasn't expecting 250 [even tho the PC3700 is hailed at getting up to DDR500 speeds]), I kept coming to the conclusion that this PC3700 Gold was that way to go. They come in 256mb dimms tho.

I'm sure most any PC3700 would do tho. I'd just shoot for the CAS 2.5 stuff. Depending on how saucy you feel, you could get some Mushkin Black lvl2 3500 and volt mod the board to get 3700 speeds at CAS2 (or whatever people get with it).

You can't go wrong with the memory I've recommended above, but there is probably other stuff out there that I'm not familiar with.

Last edited:
Might try Munskin Black Level aswell seems to be the most popular ;)

I havn't had a chance to use mine, Yet

I heared that the Black level oc's very high and most time the ram does limet it self to overclocking, we all can see your ram is the bottle neck. The cpu hasn't reached it's limet you just need better ram.

Back