• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

fan on top of case...should it blow in or out?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eliteoneXP

I got an Aspire X-Superalien case (very sweet case i must say) but one thing i noticed is the fan on the top is blowing in...shouldnt this be blowing out?

That would make the most sense to me, since heat rises, and you dont want to blow the hot air back into your case, but I could be wrong. On my case, the fan on the top is blowing out.

Having hot air remove is good. But try to have positive air pressure inside the case so dust can only get in through the fan and hopefully the air filter if you use them. Having negative air pressure will allow dust to creep in through cracks. It'd be a shame to see dust in any system.

hmm, a blow hole usually blows air out of the system... you should try and see which works best...

this way youd blow cold air inside, and cool down the hot air with cool air...(not a bad way tbh)
but if youd reverse it, youd just get the air outa there, no nonsense, and keep the air flowing...

try what works best for you

One of my first case projects was to mount a fan in the bottom of the case sucking air into the case, and mount a fan in the top of case to blow air out. All on a straight line through the case.

Using this principle I managed to rebuild my old dragon DX-01WD into an easy and cool case.

Currently I'm trying to find a way to apply this model on mATX cases, but its a lot harder, as 80 mm fans don't fit well or look nice...

Cheers, Flix

Well you can also make a duct system to blow cool air from outside into your pc. I have mine blowing in air with a filter on it, more air into my rig makes it run better, you should feel the air blowing near the heatsink.

Im going to go against the grain on this one. The problem with a top blowhole is that it can suck the cool air incoming to the case right out the blowhole.
I have the standard Chieftec/Antec mid-tower case, and I have 2 rear exhaust fans, a PS with 2 fans, and a side intake fan. In this confguration my system runs the coolest.
I also found that adding front intake fans does not help cooling.
Interestingly, after I did this I found an out from the AMD web site for System cooling guidelines that this is the preferred setup.

This worked in my scenario, so YMMV.

My case is ver cool I almost have the same fan set-up as you, but I have four front intakes they just blow cool air into my case and cool my very hot hard drives.

no, don't change it

the fan is there to provide COLD air to the psu, which will get *louder* is it gets warmer air; e.g. temp controlled fan will speed up in there

do not change fan orientations in a prebuilt gaming case; they're usually not dumb to still be in business

On a coolermaster case it blows outwards.. Supposedly to help the heat that rises to the top get out.

On my LL PC60 I've got 2 120mm's blowing in on the top blowhole because that's the only place i had to mount my radiator, and it didn't like hot case air being pulled through it. :D Wish I had somewhere else to put that thing, but I don't want to do the whole external setup again.

-Andy

fafnir said:
no, don't change it

the fan is there to provide COLD air to the psu, which will get *louder* is it gets warmer air; e.g. temp controlled fan will speed up in there

do not change fan orientations in a prebuilt gaming case; they're usually not dumb to still be in business

i agree w/ fafnir as well, the fan mounted on top of the case is to provide cool air to the intake fan in he psu, that way its not pulling hot air from inside the case

I thought it should've been blowing out at first (my friend has this case as well), but when i looked over the design a bit more, i figured out why it is blowing in, keep it that way, it should keep your psu cooler and ur volts more stable (higher psu temp = lower wattage, unstable volts)

Back