• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Side Panel Off...Temps Decrease...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

XunknownX

Disabled
I was playing with some El Wire and I was running the computer without the side panel for a few hours. I left to run some errands and when I came back I noticed my idle temps were roughly 4C lower then usual. So obviously my airflow sucks.

Here's my setup. I have to exhaust fans in the back, one intake window fan, and an intake fan at the front bottom as usual. These are common sized fans (80mm I think). So basically I have 2 intake and 2 exhaust....do I need to add a blowhole?

I thought I had a good airflow setup...but apparently not. Anyone have any suggestions?

you have many options like adding higher CFM fans, cleaning up you case for better air flow, increasing the fans you have to 90's or bigger, adding blow hole(s), and more I am sure. I think the key is to understand what you want it would help if we could see your case ;) and know if you have any things that must not be changed and if you have a budget limit as well.
PS I can host a few pics if need be just send me a PM.

Like one of the senior members here has suggested...As long as the front of your case is "sealed" off except where the air inlet is
(not going around your drives etc.)...You really only need air being pulled from one end of the case to the other...Front to back is my prefrence...Did not really belive this...But experience messing with the cases that I own and monitoring the temps with a Lian-Li T-4 are making me a believer...Air flow is where it is at...Air forced to enter one place and exit another is much better than a fan at every corner...Still experimenting...But yes...You would have to have some pretty impressive air-flow through your case to equal having the side door off your box...I have never gotten better temps with the door on versus the door off...Close...But no cigar... ;)

Well now I am on a mission to achieve the idle temps my comp ran at while the sied panel was removed. I have a feeling higher CFM fans and a dremel are going to be used within the next week.

I will post pics of my case when I get home. I'm at work at the moment. 5 hours and counting....tick tick tick

Taking what Hookem wrote. You could try removing the window fan out and plugging the hole with something (if it’s possible). Then see if your temps go down. If that’s the case then you could do what Stedeman suggested and either get a higher cfm front fan, larger front fan or a second one of the same size. That way you wouldn't have to get a new panel.

hmm, remember the PSU is also an exhaust..
did you remove the metal shielding infront of the front case fan?
this may be drasticly reducing the air it can pump inside, which would make it like, 1.5 fans blowing inside, and three blowing out..
what fans do you have atm? (ie: how much CFM do they blow?)

btw: nice comp ;)

This link may be useful to you.I would loose the HSF fan guard.
You'll prob. drop 2°c with the guard off.It is restricting the air from the fan.The link I provided goes into more detail of removing fan
restrictions.Keep your flow up & temps down,THE FANMAN:cool:

CASE MOD LINK :D

That's my old HSF....that volcano 7+ sucked. Loud and didn't do a good job of cooling. I now have a Vantec Aeroflow....much quieter and does a better job of cooling. No guard either on it.

Thanks for the advice Quailane. I have a window...so I'll have to figure out a way to get direct outside air onto the CPU

you can make one (the lower) fan an intake instead of an exhaust, then hook up a duct from that fan directly onto the CPU ;)

this way youll have fresh air to your CPU, and if you look good, maybe a cool lookin duct to go with it :p

tip: to make sure the air from the duct is cool as possible, put a "duct" on the outside too... like a piece of tubing so ittl get its air from lower or something, otherwise it could take in the air coming out from the fan above it ;)

so much to do so little time. You are all awesome. I don't even search the web when I have question such as the one I posted in this thread. This forum is all I need.

Back