• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can win98 support 1gig of ram? and.....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sirjinx1974

a 80gig hard drive and a AMD athlon 2000 XP+??? I have had it with WinXP:mad: :mad: That Virus is horible. I have a raid controller built into my mobo so will that raid controller work for win98?

What is the question

Hi Man, you have 2 questions over there. First one 1 gb mem will be supported but no use to windows casue above 128 mb is usless to windows due to it's memory usage design

Your raid contrller will might work with win98. I've never tried thayt with 98 but i think it's possbile. because it's raid syte will be handled by the mobo chip

So the raid card should act as an backwards compatible ATA controller card, Yes? Win 98 will recognize the ram, but wont use all of the ram because of the way win98 works? Yes/No

Yeah, Win98 should definatly recognize the whole gig, but not make effective use of it (I've heard it's over 256 or 512 that it dosen't use).

JigPu

Win9x wasn't designed for more than 512mb. The sweet spot is 256mb though. More than that, you won't see any difference.

There is a workaround if you have more than 512mb on a Win9x system though. You need to edit your c:\windows\system.ini file. Find the section for [vcache], there should be a line with "MaxFileCache=" (no quotes). You want to limit this to 512mb but you have to enter it in bytes so 512 x 1024 = 524288. So the line should read:

MaxFileCache=524288

Save the system.ini file and reboot.

-Bobby

edit: why would anyone want to downgrade from XP to 9x/Me??? You're looking at more trouble than it's worth and the chance for successfully using raid is slim.

If you install more then 512 megs i think you will get an error something like there is not enough memory lol..It has been a while but I did run 768 megs in a 9x system and had to do that mod mentioned above.{Vcache}..

But from what I remember WINDOWS 9x will simply not use any ram over 512megs,Although you can make changes that will allow it to have more then 512 it is a waste of time and in the end unless you plan on making use of a ram drive to run an app from a waste of cash as well..

Go to Windows knowledge base and search for 98 error with more then 512 megs of ram,There is an article that will explain the limits of ram in the 9x operating systems.

http://tweakhomepc.virtualave.net/ram/vcache98.shtml

That's where I went to figure out how to get 98 to recognize 1gig of RAM. There is another link in there somewhere that allows you to set Windows up so it won't crash or whatnot at above 1g. It's some registry setting. It sends you to the knowledge base at Microsoft. That link above is only part of the fix.

I'm using 98 with a RAID 0 array. Highpoint controller built into my motherboard. No real problems.

Oh and ignore the pop-ups that happen on that page. They didn't use to be there but now they. DO NOT click yes to install any of that crap. It's all spyware like GAIN.

Back