• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Audio bitrate program

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ToiletDuck

is there a program that can take audio files. And somehow up the bitrate of them to get higher clarity out of them? Maybe it like interpolates what the file should sound like and does this? Duck

In short, no. I'm going to assume that you mean mp3 files. Once an mp3 has been compressed, parts of the sound (that the human ear supposedly can't hear) have been removed, there really is no way to get them back. The same goes for all lossy audio formats (Mpc, ogg, mp3 pro, wma etc).

If you have the audio in a lossless format like Wave, Monkeys Audio (.ape) or Flac, then it's generally already at it's full quality, so no need to worry there ;)

I assume that you realize upping the bitrate of an mp3/ogg etc wont actually improve the quality, so i'll move on ;). The only option you really have for improving an mp3 file is getting an audio editor like Cool Edit, or Sound Forge (Which is what I use). You can try eqing it, or applying some effects, but realistically, you're stuck with what you've got. Sorry I couldn't be of more use :p

Glacial is right, once its captured at a bitrate and some of the sound is lost you cant really get it back. However you can use various programs as he said to try and bring back the quality( basically faking it). Realize that most of the programs are rather difficult to use and take some time to understand and use properly.
Some programs to try other than the ones Glacial suggested are Cool Edit(now called Adobe Audition I believe), Audacity, maybe Goldwave, and Besweet.
*Note* These programs main purpose are mainly for manipulating audio tracks from movies though I have used some of these for enhancing mp3 audio for non-movies.
Its important to remember this saying when working with audio and video: Crap in= Crap out. The best you will probably be able to do with any program is make your crap smell pretty . ;)

Back