• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Custom rubbermaid case (PICS, 56k warning)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chasingapple

Ok all, phase 1 is complete of the Rubbermaid project, ditched the old server tower (ugly as hell) and going to design a custom cooling solution similar to how the G5 Mac's cool, seperate zones of cooling and I am going to add ducting as well. This is my test case to try it with :)

I will update here with more pics as the project comes along.

Cheers

Phase 1

case1.JPG

case1mobo.JPG

it looks nice so far.
but isn't there a good risk of static electricity zapping your stuf?

Nice project.It will be interesting to watch the progression of
this project.Now that you have me wondering what the final results will be! Keep us posted;THE FANMAN:cool:

iD10t said:
it looks nice so far.
but isn't there a good risk of static electricity zapping your stuf?

I honestly dont know, I have the mobo on a metal mounting plate out of my old server case, and Im going to keep it on it. As far as the rest of it Im not sure yet. If there is a risk might some of you out there offer some tips on how to protect the computer?

Cheers.

BTW: I bust out the dremel today and design the ducting system!

Its like working on a Corvette.You will need a good ground terminal to ground the components to.I would check out how
they ground the components in one of those plexi-glass cases.
The fish aquarium computers.:D As long as the system is grounded properly,you won't need to worry about static electricity. THE FANMAN:cool:

[threadjack] Hey FANMAN, I'll be living about 3hrs. away from you in like a month! I'm moving to Cooperas Cove, TX...right outside the Killeen-Fort Hood area. I'm a HUGE Steve Francis/ Houston Rockets fan!!! [/threadjack]

chasingapple- awasome "case!" I love these origanal ideas. Keep the pics coming. :cool:

-NCB

Last edited:
You could also maybe set the hardrive on a static-proof bag...like what your mobo came packaged in...at least untill you figure out how to ground everything. I have a clear case and I don't think it is grounded at all...but I have had no problem thus far- 6months. :D

-NCB

It looks like you just put a bunch of components in a rubbermaid container, I hope it ends up a lot better :D

If I remember right the ground the motherboard with that metal panel the motherboard usually comes mounted on. Most electronics with circuit board design (at least when I studied it) people put a common ground wire on the pcb that just about every connecotr connects too which sends the ground to the ground wire into the power supply and from there is grounded into the out let in the wall and so fourth.

I noticed in your picture you have one of those aero 7 coolers or what not. I've been tempted to get it for a while ow but am not sure of how well it works. What kind of tempatures do you get with that thing?

Aeon Flux said:
If I remember right the ground the motherboard with that metal panel the motherboard usually comes mounted on. Most electronics with circuit board design (at least when I studied it) people put a common ground wire on the pcb that just about every connecotr connects too which sends the ground to the ground wire into the power supply and from there is grounded into the out let in the wall and so fourth.

I noticed in your picture you have one of those aero 7 coolers or what not. I've been tempted to get it for a while ow but am not sure of how well it works. What kind of tempatures do you get with that thing?

Well my buddy here recommended that I ground the mobo and the HD to the powersupply, that should do the trick, and as for the Aero 7+ I think it is an awesome cooler, my temps are read straight from the internal DIODE of the CPU itself, not the socket and my temps are 44c Idle 48c Load so im extremely happy. Im using AS Ceramique and ambient temps are around 23c

Ok little update, got all the rough cuts done and the sanding and filing done. The system is half way done and operational right now, but I am not going to upload those pics til the computer is done ;)

Here goes!

outline1.JPG

outline2.JPG

outline3.JPG

That intake area above was a fubar on my part, cant express how important it is to plan everything out before you get excited and start punching holes!!!

Ok, just to give an idea of the cooling here we go, the GREEN lines represent the walls that will be installed into the case using plexi or lexan. There will be 3 ZONES of cooling. The red arrows show the airflow for each ZONE, the intake on the right is going to be a DUCT straight to the CPU, I just have to make it :)

Here is the PIC.

diagram.JPG

Interesting ideas. Doing something like this in rubbermaid is a great way to do an inexpensive test of newer cooling concepts.

What I'd like to see is if you can use this technique to get a quiet system in spite of a med-high overclock. How many case fans do you plan? What type? I'd be very interested in seeing Panaflo LO's at 7V in there. :)

BTW, I'd say it's shaping up quite well. :)

Please keep us posted. -- Paul

Looks funny at first, but many good ideas are first tested in cheapo platforms like this. :) They're much easier to modify, allowing for more iterations in the design process.

Another side thought:

Your particular vid card is a Ti4200, which isn't too particularly hot, temp-wise. It would be interesting to see which compartment gets hottest if you had a hotter-running GPU: the CPU partition or the GPU partition.

-- Paul

macklin01 said:
Looks funny at first, but many good ideas are first tested in cheapo platforms like this. :) They're much easier to modify, allowing for more iterations in the design process.

Another side thought:

Your particular vid card is a Ti4200, which isn't too particularly hot, temp-wise. It would be interesting to see which compartment gets hottest if you had a hotter-running GPU: the CPU partition or the GPU partition.

-- Paul

I have a CompUnurse and I will test each zone and let you know which area is hottest. BTW, just you wait til im done, you aint seen nothing yet!

Oh, on a side note I would like to let everyone know the total cost of this case so far is $5 or so (container). One of my bestest bestest friends got me this rubbermaid container for my Bday last september with the purpose of doing this ;)

Soon the amount will go up a little, need to head to Home Depot soon! LOL. Also, another BTW... After only going this far I have already decided I will not buy another case again, I will just make them, and of course try it with metal stuff and maybe design my own cabinet from scratch! Trust me peeps, this is alot of fun!

Back