• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dangerden now has double heatercores

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yup, the caprice is a fine core. U know, heatercores are pretty much heatercores. obviously more surface area is better for heat transfer, but seeing as how most of us can bring our water back down near ambient temps with a 6X6 chevette core and a couple fans.... whats the point? The way i see it, go with the biggest core you can easily fit inside your case, or wherever u want to put it. If you want less airflow/noise then a bigger core is obviously better but other than that........

J.

juliendogg said:
but seeing as how most of us can bring our water back down near ambient temps with a 6X6 chevette core and a couple fans.... whats the point?
Nope I disagree. See, I ran my current setup with just one 6x6 core (D-Tek). I thought as you did, how could it get any better? When I added a second D-Tek core (parallel) My temps dropped close to 5C. I believe now my H20 temps are close to ambient where before they obviously were not.

My water temp is about 4c above ambient with 1 procore. Water temp also depends on your heatload does it not?

The caprice heatercores are pretty freaking airflow restrictive too... you need a fairly powerful fan to effectively cool them.

Shrug... hold it up to the light, you see a lot less light poke through. Hold a typical 120mm fan up to it and compare the amount of air that is blown through to the amount blown through a Chevette (example) heatercore. It's a lot less. I'm sure that that probably means it has more surface area and could therefore potentially cool better than a less restrictive fan, given enough airflow... I just wanted to warn those that may have the 'silent' (aka pansy) flavor of a 120mm fan.

Hah, pansiness for peace of mind. Are you comparing a caprice to chevette from experience? I have a 120.2 camry core but the fin ratio is probably a lot different since its seems less restrictive than a chevette.

dscn0452.jpg

dscn0451.jpg

dscn0453.jpg

I have both... and I look at the air flow restriction, they are the same...

I just done modding one of the caprice heater core and 2 more to go.... using jb weld... it rocks...

however, I would suggest ya to buy caprice from napa online... 79 caprice heater core... its only $20.... + shipping and tax is about $25 ... or you can even go to your local napa store and pick it up....

Quoting the DD website:

Has the least flow resistance of any radiator

Where do they come up with this stuff?

A single pass heatercore has much less resistance to waterflow. For that matter, so does a chevette heatercore.

And, I'd guess any car's main engine cooling radiator has less resistance to airflow.

I have used both as well and the larger one struck me as more restrictive than the typical heatercore. Unless someone pulls out an anemometer, this stupid 'debate' will remain up to "personal experience."

For REAL low flow resistance I like the 1970 Chevy Blazer w/o AC:

blazer.jpg

Shown with a 172mm Rotron fan for scale :)

pHaestus said:
For REAL low flow resistance I like the 1970 Chevy Blazer w/o AC:

blazer.jpg

Shown with a 172mm Rotron fan for scale :)
pHaestus, I think I just picked up that exact same heater core, only mine is from a 1972 Chevy K10 pickup w/o AC , part number 2-275. I'm gratified that I'm not the only person here who has one, as I haven't seen anybody else with this particular core yet :). I'm still in the process of setting up my phirst WCed system, and I'm trying to figure out exactly how I'm going to mount this bad boy. . . any suggestions? Right now, the best I can think is just to straddle it across either side of the case, and run the tubing through the top 5 1/4" drive panel. Hmmm.

And for measurements: manufacturer's specs are 9.5 x 6.125 x 2 in. although this only seems to account for the fins area. With my trusty tape measurer I get 11.25 x 6.5 x 2 in. Go figure.

Last edited:
Back