• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are the temps OK? Help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Registered
My friend has just bought a system from a no-name dealer and has got a no-name case in the bargain.The system has no case fans.Only cpu and ps fans.The CPU temperature shown in the bios hardware monitoring utility was 64 deg c ( Ambient temp 25-28 deg c). I wonder what the temp will be once windows runs under load.The rig is built around:

Athlon XP2600+(333 Mhz FSB)
A7V8X-MX mobo
256 MB samsung PC2700 ram
No-name power supply, 300 watts.

My questions are-
1) is the temperature normal.If not what may be the reason(except case fans ofcourse)
2) Is it recommended to run the contraption with its existing temperature.

All answers are welcome.Much obliged in advance.

The temperature is normal for the ambient you stated and no case fans, im sure it is a stock Heatsink.
It isnt the greatest idea to run it at those temps, but it might be ok.. the best thing to do would to get a new Heatsink and fan, and some case fans.

Seems a little high to me, I would do somthing about it. Even the stock heatsink should do better than that. what are the case temps?

i would recommend modding out the case fan grills, those ugly, repulsive cut OEM grills in all cases, then replacing them w/ the chrom wire grills, then after that get some nice fans, also and u may want to add fans on the side blowing air directly onto the cpu hsf, cut a hole and measure it so u can have a fan right above the hsf, that way u get cool air directly to the hs, hope that helps

7keys said:
Seems a little high to me, I would do somthing about it. Even the stock heatsink should do better than that. what are the case temps?

Notice that he said the ambient was around 82°F? With no case fans I say his case is probably around 38°C(100°F) atleast. So his cooler is actually doing pretty well considering he has ambient temps that are 5-7°C higher than ours.

just buy a semi decent heatsink, and a semi decent fan..both can e recommended on this site..

then get two case fans..you'll be happy forever. :)

If you want to do a test for the case temps? Take off the side door and put a fan infront of the opening.Point the fan from front
to rear at an angle to push the hot air out the rear of the case.
Check out this thread it may give you some ideas.A pic is worth
a thousand words. THE FANMAN:cool:

CASE MOD LINK :D

Thanks guys, you have been a lot of help.What I deduced from the various replies is that.
1) my friend needs 2 case fans.
2) HSF seems to be OK.But a better one would do some good.

And yes schismspeak is dead right.Motherboard temp as shown is 38°C.

Don't you guys think that the cpu temp is a bit too high above mobo temp?I have a rig with antec sonata case (athXP1700+@1755 MHz) in the same ambients , the CPU temp doesn't go above 50°C even with prime 95 running.But my case has a very good case fan. So it just might be that the HSF is not properly installed or installing case fans might do the trick.I would like to have your opinion too.
One more thing , the HSF is installed with stock thermal pad.Do you suggest scraping it off and using some thermal paste?

Back