• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Waiting..Waiting..still waiting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

diffi

Registered
just built a new machine

msi delta - L
512mb DDR 2.5cls
xp 2600+
120gb maxtor

installed XP all patches and service packs

XP takes about 74 seconds to reach the log on screen
after post.

i took a look at bootvis and created some logs..nothing is really sticking out as what could be the problem...

i tried using bootvis's optimization option to no avail..

looking for ideas :)

you shouldn't worry too much about bootvis because winxp will automatically optimize everything for you.

about your bootvis problem

do you see a diagram which shows how long it takes for your computer to load some files after bootvis ran ????

diffi said:
just built a new machine

msi delta - L
512mb DDR 2.5cls
xp 2600+
120gb maxtor

installed XP all patches and service packs

XP takes about 74 seconds to reach the log on screen
after post.

i took a look at bootvis and created some logs..nothing is really sticking out as what could be the problem...

i tried using bootvis's optimization option to no avail..

looking for ideas :)

That's normal, next time you reboot it will be normal considering you were not required to again after having installed more patches.

powerme said:
you shouldn't worry too much about bootvis because winxp will automatically optimize everything for you.

about your bootvis problem

do you see a diagram which shows how long it takes for your computer to load some files after bootvis ran ????

it's like nothing is really happening untill about 45 seconds then activity on everything shoots up and boot finishes at around 74 seconds or there abouts

Re: Re: Waiting..Waiting..still waiting

Ray@VSK said:

That's normal, next time you reboot it will be normal considering you were not required to again after having installed more patches.

hmm i've rebooted about 100 times :) same thing

my old machine booted in about 20 seconds at it was OLD :)

Well I would say first off flash the bios, switch ram to different slots, run disk check, test ram then hd.

latest bios changed slots ran memory check everythings fine..
non windows OS boots fine

maxtor diagnostic tools don't work on nvidia chipsets yet

hmm, how old is this drive & how many times have u reformatted it, it very well could be a corrupt install but I'm willing to bet if you dropped in a new drive or wrote this one all to 0's it would load up normally again since you've ruled out hardware it has to either be the os install or spot on the drive were u installed but being u said it didn't do this till after you installed updates I would really lean towards reformatting it & if @ all possible writing the drive to all 0's.

Try going into system information and see if you have any "forced Hardware' or "driver conflicts" that windows is seeing. Ususally what causes startup lproblems like this is a conflict on the IRQ table from my experience.

skab said:
Try going into system information and see if you have any "forced Hardware' or "driver conflicts" that windows is seeing. Ususally what causes startup lproblems like this is a conflict on the IRQ table from my experience.

no irq conficlits or driver conflicts

irq conflcts usually show up in bootvis all looks normal

well

i'm really ****ed off

i installed a floppy drive now it works fine....sigh....

had a similar problem

Are you using the Windows XP upgrade or full version. I use to fully load windows from the upgrade version cause I didn't have the full version and Windows was just slow and gave me problems all the time. Until I got my hands on a full 2003 version, I could tell a big difference. The anti-virus software loaded a lot faster which was all I was waiting on and I'm back to 30 sec. I gave the old XP to my father and his computer is doing the same thing as my old system.

Back