• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Temps for an XP1800+ tbred at stock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Noodles

Hi, I'm sort of a newbie to overclocking so bear with me.

I've got a xp1800+ tbred (A? B?) that I'm putting on my shuttle an35n-ultra board. I have a fairly large cooler master HSF, aluminum without a copper interface, I'm not sure what model. Its nothing special though, I got it for free.

I just set the system up yesterday, and it was only a quick peek but it looked like I was getting 40c idle in bios. Before I took the cpu and fan out of the old abit kv7a board it was in I'm pretty sure it was around 34c in the bios idle. I had just done a format and reinstall of windows though when I checked so who knows.

Is this how hot these cpus should be running? After seeing people posting temps like 34c idle and 40c load I'm a little worried about my chip. I was planning on doing a mild overclock. Running the memory and fsb at 200 and setting the multiplier to 8x (the lowest one) for 1600mhz. That really only a 67mhz overclock since the stock speed is 1533. Should I be worried about this? I wasn't before, but my temps seem a little high so now I am a little.

(Of course I have a pally 1900+ right next to me with a thermaltake low profile hsf right now thats get 46c idling in bios....hmmm. Maybe all amd cpus just run hot as hell)

From reading around on the forums you should be ok with an OC that small. If you want to feel safer you could get an all copper heat sink with a 80mm fan on it. Yes AMD cpu's run hot as hell :( . My 1700+ is sitting at 52 idle right now with the stock HSF. I should be getting my slk-947U in the mail today and can't wait to put it on. I'm hoping it will drop the temps alot with a 92mm fan on it. Big step up from my stock :D

Back