• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The order of things

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Supa Koopa

Registered
I did try and search for this but could not get the answer I was looking for, so please don't flame me.

I the next couple of weeks I should have a cascade waterblock in my grubby little hands and was wondering what would be the best way to set it up.

Current system is,

Hydor l30 pump
Termochill 120.2 rad
WW P4 blcok
Maze 4 gpu
Z chipset
Innovatek Tank-o-matic res.

Flow goes

res>pump>rad>cpu>gpu>nb>

Would I be better keeping this order or going

res>pump>cpu>gpu>nb>rad

when the cascade arrives to try and give it more inital flow. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Also I was considering getting a Swiftech MCP600 pump as I have heard good things about it, do you think this is a wise move? I'm in the uk and it seems a little harder getting hold of some of the good watercooling stuff, so no danner mag 3 for me. :(

I would think the NB first, since it takes less cooling to cool it then it does yoru GPU, that way, your NB is still getting decent temp water. so:

res>pump>rad>CPU>NB>GPU

So you would still put the rad before the cascade even though it will impede the flow to it?

is the thermochill 120.2 any good? i was thinking about getting one of those

Component Order

Assuming all components are placed in series, the flowrate will be independent of the exact ordering. It works just like electricity, each component adds to the resistance of the circuit. The net flow is dependant solely upon the net resistance.

Therfore the optimal ordering depends upon trying to obtain the largest changes in temperature, (ie radiator to air, water to processor).

typically
rad->cpu->gpu->chipset->pump

and res between rad and cpu or chipset and pump

Also, you should try to make your hoses as short as possible, (hoses add resistance per unit lenght), so you might vary the standard order to decrease hose length and improve flow.

Back