• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Top Performance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

js341

Registered
Has anybody ever used the BIOS option "Top Performance" with a Gigabyte Motherboard. And if you did, was there a performance increase? My gigabyte only gives this option when I hit CTRL F1.

My board flipped out. I had to clear cmos. It wasnt even bootable. I have no idea what it changed that I havent already done. I havent tried it since then. Could just be something in my system I guess, but if you try it, I would be ready to clear cmos, just incase.

Edit: I just tried it again and worked fine this time. I havent had a chance to test it yet. I dont see what it could change to make the board work much better though. I guess its time to do some tests. :)

Last edited:
good luck

I would try it but I'm still having problems the my booting. But I read that it suppose to adjust system configurations, but is it for the motherboard or OS?

I would think its MB settings. I cant see it changing anything in the OS. The biggest thing in BIOS I have seen was the Memory Timings. I dont think it adjusts those nearly as well as you can do on your own.

I have heard from a pretty good source that the only way you can get Top performace to run is if you turn that on while you are installing your o/s. If you turn it on while on old configurations it will flip out and go nuts.

Actually, many feel that ALL overclocking should be turned off when installing any OS (esp. windows), and in general it's the safe way to go.

However I've always found that the "canned" preformance enhancements (they can't really be called overclocking - just more agressive timings) that a manufacture puts in a BIOS are usually not a problem.

After all, the last thing they want is a bunch more trouble calls on the help desk! ;)

Now that I have the board up and running, I'm begining to re-think my prior statement. :eek:

The top Performance only changes memory timings, i could use Top Perf by slowly rising timings and after a while activate the Top Perf mode.

I dont thing i can handle the big change in timings when you hit on Top perf, but thats just what i found out...

I have a P4EE and 2 sticks of Corsair 512 non-ecc PC3500c2 running in dual mode and this runs in top performance mode all the time with no ill effects, and I put it in that mode after days after system installation.

Back