• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HSF decision

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SF101

The Printer Guru
HSF decision/Memory Issue

ok i got a choice here of basicly 2 hsf
1. vantech aeroflow /w TMD fan
va4-c7040

or
2. The Tt Volcano 11/+

which one is the better cooler ?

ok plz could somone anser?

Last edited:
Don't even consider the Thermaltake 11 HSF. Thermaltake HSF's are known to crush AMD processor cores. I've had this happen too many times. I believe there are other members here who have had the same problem with Thermaltake HSF's.

yea i went out and got the aeroflow one before the store closed
lol i never had a reply
it took my idle temp from 50*C stock fan
to 32*C with aeroflow at idle temp
also i did look at that roundup thing thats why i went with aero
i didnt even see the volcano 11 one there till i searched way down on the list
i figured it was just left out or something or not updated on the list so thats why i asked i did not expect it to be so far down that list
whats with the volcano 7 being better than the 11 i dont get it ?

bafbrian said:
Don't even consider the Thermaltake 11 HSF. Thermaltake HSF's are known to crush AMD processor cores. I've had this happen too many times. I believe there are other members here who have had the same problem with Thermaltake HSF's.

Where have you heard that? Certainly from newbies who don't know what they are doing.

yea but glussier the volcano 11+ never even came close to the aero on that benchmark results list this site has

SF101 said:
yea but glussier the volcano 11+ never even came close to the aero on that benchmark results list this site has

I agree with you, but, I'm not complaining about your choice, I'm complaining 'cause some people post false information. I wouldn't buy an v11+ either. :)

glussier said:

Where have you heard that? Certainly from newbies who don't know what they are doing.

Nod. Any HS can crush a core if you don't know what you are doing. Sure some may be easier to deal with than others, but there are plenty of other reasons to not get the volcano 11+, so I wouldn't worry about crushing the core being 1 of them ;)

hehehe i went to play a game on my pc and it was running like total crap im thinking like wtf i get gleeeeeek in my sound like the sound drags out getting screen lag and stuff

my mobo reset my cpu settings when i changed this fan lol it was running at like 100mhz fsb

so yea my cpu is idle at 39-40*C which is still 10*C lower and should prevent my system from going funky

still think i should change my ram though

what do you all sugest
?RAM that is

SF101 said:

Lol, the v11 is not even in the list. The v12, which is a much better hsf than the Aeroflow is not in the list either.

SF101 said:
hehehe i went to play a game on my pc and it was running like total crap im thinking like wtf i get gleeeeeek in my sound like the sound drags out getting screen lag and stuff

my mobo reset my cpu settings when i changed this fan lol it was running at like 100mhz fsb

so yea my cpu is idle at 39-40*C which is still 10*C lower and should prevent my system from going funky

still think i should change my ram though

what do you all sugest
?RAM that is

How come, you show 39 to 40c idle temp in your post, but 34c in your sig?

As for you problem, check for driver problems (chipset, video or sound).

glussier said:

Lol, the v11 is not even in the list. The v12, which is a much better hsf than the Aeroflow is not in the list either.

The V11+ is in the list, here it is.
As for the V12 not being in the list, they can't possibly list all HS's, and for the V12 being better, the SLK900 is one of the best HS's but he had to choose between the V11+ and the Vantec.

BTW: You could hit CTRL+F and type in the word you're looking for.

**EDIT**
glussier said:
How come, you show 39 to 40c idle temp in your post, but 34c in your sig?

As for you problem, check for driver problems (chipset, video or sound).
Obviously he didn't update his sig, as he probably wasn't aware yet that his system was running at 100FSB, thus running much cooler.

cuz i didnt change my sig yet
and its actually 38*C let my system idle all night and thats what it was when i woke up
funny thing is i run that sysoft burn in or what ever it is
and it hardly increases my temp
wondering if thats a good enuf test

k
i tryed and it just quit
i duno why really i mean i check my system with sysoft sandra
it says everythings good
i use this program prime95 put it on blend or inplace large FFT's
and it like starts and quits before it even has time to go 1*C higher than 38*C
so i duno maybee the ram doesnt like it even though sysoft said ram ran fine in all the benchmarks

Last edited:
bafbrian said:

*Rises hand*

I have a Thermaltake 11+ and it is a decent HSF.

Now about that "crushing AMD processor cores", how can it do that? That was my first HSF that I ever put in and I had no problems. I even took it out a few times when I upgrade my CPU.

SF101 said:
k
i tryed and it just quit
i duno why really i mean i check my system with sysoft sandra
it says everythings good
i use this program prime95 put it on blend or inplace large FFT's
and it like starts and quits before it even has time to go 1*C higher than 38*C
so i duno maybee the ram doesnt like it even though sysoft said ram ran fine in all the benchmarks

Usually, when Prime95 aborts in short period of time, it is a problem with ram. Get memtest86 and test your ram.

Back