• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

rad barbs at top or bottom ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jackal2513

apologies for posting this twice .. picked teh wrong forum first time round by mistake:

I am mounting a BIX2 inside my case

I can have the barbs at teh top whch would mean slightly longer length of turbing to and from the rad but potentially less problems with trapped air (although i am easily able to remove the rad from its fixings and tilt it up and down to remove any trapped air)

Or

I can have the barbs at the bottom so that would mean shorter lengths of tubing to and from the rad but teh water will still have to climb to teh top of the rad through the narrorwer spaces of the radiator

any ideas which is best ? From a neatness of installation point of view having the barbs at the bottom would be best for me. Just wondered if there was any performance advantage or distadvatages.

cheers

Rich

i doubt there would be a noticeable difference since the pump is forcing the water through. Go with the cleaner setup.

I have my radiator lying on it's side. the water goes in the top, out the bottom. My thinking is less work to move the water through it, since essentially gravity does most of the work

If you decide for barbs at bottom and you don't have powerful pump, think about some way not to have air going in but not going out.

If barbs are on top, air bubbles are more likely to go through, when barbs are on bottom, they can stuck at top (but it's not certain that it will happen). Anyway the best way not to havebubbles would be to have inlet at the bottom and outlet just on top. Other good solution would be to have additional connection to remove air.

Anyway with rather more powerful pump, there's rather no risk to have air in rad.

OR, you could go with the cleaner barbs at bottom route, and use the bleeding tube in rad method described here.
It will solve any air issues and make bleeding the system much easier, as well as more compact. (no res)

I like this idea, I think I may scrap my res and set this up on my rig too

MuEagle05 said:
... My thinking is less work to move the water through it, since essentially gravity does most of the work
:bang head
I'm sorry, but gravity will contribute far less than the pressure difference that's driving the flow. Aside from removing air bubbles, the radiator's orientation doesn't matter.

Back