• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RBX/WW vs. Innovatek Rev3 waterblock: low flowrate system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

will_maltby

RBX/WW vs. Innovatek Rev3 waterblock: low flowrate system:: Which one?

Hey guys, just wanna have your advice on what waterblock to get.

I currently have an Innovatek Rev3.0 waterblock which you can see on the overclockers.com review;
http://www.overclockers.com/articles545/

I'm looking to get either a WW or the new RBX. Here, in the UK, the RBX goes for £45 and the D-Tek WW costs more at £54.

RBX: http://www.pclincs.co.uk/acatalog/Danger_Den.html
WW: http://www.pclincs.co.uk/acatalog/D_TEK_Customs.html

(pclincs.co.uk seems to have the best prices, but please correct me if you know somewhere cheaper) :)

I've heard that the RBX is marginally better, but the recent review on this site shows the block very much demands a high flow system.

I do have an 1250 eheim pump, BUT...I also have a massive car radiator in the loop which really brings the flow rate down. I'd say it makes the flow equivalent to an 1046 in with a simple block and old skool rad (something like the Maxxpert monoRad shown in the innovatek review linked above)

So basically,

given my system's lowish flowrate and the fact that the RBX is roughly £10 cheaper, should I get the WW or RBX? Or not bother upgrading at all?

*EDIT* Forgot to mention that I've modified the barbs on my innovatek with much much thicker openings. I now use 10mm ID tubing. Example here;

block.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think there's any way for me to tell you which block to get but I can tell you of my experience with the rev3.0 and the WW from dtek.

Innovatek block for my system in my sig load temp was almost 40C. It went between 38C and 40C.

WW with same system was slightly better and when I say slightly, that's 3C after remounting several times over a period of a month or so. I sold it and went back to the Innovatek.

Now I am using the swiftech 5002 but as soon as my barton arrives tuesday or wednesday of next week I'll be going back to the Innovatek block. It for some reason that I cannot figure out stomps all over the swifty, maybe I'm doing something wrong.

I will be selling it along with a few XP processors late next week in the classifieds.

I hope this little tidbit of info can help you in your decision. My main reason for leaving the WW was the ease of installation of the Innovatek, since I have a hard time leaving my computer alone for a very long period of time. I did the same thing you did with the barbs on the Innovatek block so I could use the 1/2" tubing.

Your temps will vary from mine as they do for everyone but I thought you could use a little more info from someone that had used both. I wish I could help with the RBX but I don't have one, sorry.

Maybe this will help you make a decision. :D

From looking at BillA's testing of the Innovatek rev3 and the WW, it seems that the Whitewater at 2lpm performs at least as well as the Innovatek at lpm, and that at higher WW flow rates the performance lead gets wider and wider. So I would guess that you should see an improvement with the WW.

I like the rev3's mounting mechanism too and used one in my PC50 for almost a year. The cadillac of waterblocks I have heard it called.

Miralcos ;

Thanks for the info, just what I was looking for! Yeah, the rev 3.0 is a solid block and often under-estimated (usually by it's owners - seen a few peeps upgrade from it and not see drastic improvements).

I reckon I'll upgrade to the WW anyway since if I do, I'll then have a complete spare innovatek rev3 kit ready to sell on to somoene.

pHaestus;

Do you have a linky for that comparison? I tried searching recently for that roundup that included the rev3 and others but couldn't find it. Overclockers.com's collection is unsearchable and I think the link to it has been accidently deleted 'cos I can't seem to find it anywhere... :(

seems like the RBX review has just been pulled from the main site here. Maybe the retest with the block properly setup will yield better results.

Xmas is drawing in fast and I need these reviews dammit! :)

Hopefully Joe'll do the WW real soon as well.

Nice! thanks, I really appreciate that graph you made; I thought you were referring to an existing comparison on overclockers.com. Well yeah thanks! :)

Looks like the WW should provide a significant improvement over the Rev3.0.

At around 3.5 LPM (roughly the same as the average flowrate Joe gets through his blocks tested so far) the WW is 0.4 C/W better.

Back