• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

High power pump needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

woods

I think I am going to upgrade my pump after seeing the results on the DD RBX w/b on the front page. I am currently running an ehiem 1250. I would like to have A VERY high pressure pump. High flow would be nice too. What do you guys, the gurus of all things water, think I should get?

Thank you for the quick responses. I am not sure about spending THAT much on the pump. Could it really be that much better than the Ehiem? If it is and will actually help a significant amount, then I may do it.

Careful, don't get the WMD series, make sure it's the MD series which are the high pressured ones....

Danner Mag Drive 3 has about the same pressure as the Iwaki MD-15R. The Mag Drive 3 costs just $40 or so. Don't be tempted to get the Mag Drive 5 even though it costs $5 more. It offers no more pressure but pushes more heat into your system. The Mag5 is more of an open-flow pump and in a restricted system the Mag3 will offer the same flow rates for less heat.

I do think though that the flow rates won't be as bad as you think. JoeC artificially restricts the flow rates to 1GPM, and then plugs the block in. In a real system you don't have that artificial restriction.

I'm just saying to be wary of trying to solve a problem that isn't really a problem.

well the system isn't even together yet. I am testing it now for leaks.I already have the 1250, DD RBX, and a Dtek heater core. Would the layout help the flow through the block? If the eheim 1250 will do a good job if setup properly, then what should my setup be?

If tha's all in the setup, th eheim should do great.

Or try the danner mag 3 for that system.

Just to leach off his post (after being struck by the same article):

How much resisitance do you think a maze4 gpu block would add? More importantly, enough to warrant a bigger pump? What about with a single pass radiator?

Well as far as adding another block to the circuit, when I add my gpu block, I am going to add another rad in parrallel and a larger pump. I am thinking that another block would lower the pressure below acceptable levels. Well it would be below my acceptable levels. But I am a freak.:D

Why not just figure that out when you get the gpu block? You'll have your baseline temps to compare against to see if an added block raises temps too much.

No point in buying something now that you think you may need down the road (when you may not even need it in the first place).

Back