• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which res? (pics, crappy pics.)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ogerx

Which res? (Updated! now with 50% more useless crap!)

*Edit* SCREW the res... crappy homemade waterblock pics somewhere below this line tho.. --->

Just started water cooling about a week ago to start with...
currently using this 10gal. plastic thinger from rite aid with 6 gallons of distilled/tap water.. with a coughrbx.. danner mag2(250gph).. unknown fake copper heatercore from napa with a 80mm and a 92mm wired to it..(120mm 90cfm fan ordered and on the way) planned on trying the "no radiator/heatercore at all" approach but guess not.
res1.jpg

vs.
res2.JPG

it's at least a 20 gallon though the pic sucks..
side.JPG

side..
so, wondering if the glass would help cooling the water enough to be worth switching?(think i'm looking for an excuse to tear everything apart so i can try different rbx nozzles too.. but) or should i just let our pet lizard have the 20-25 gallon all to him self.. because 6 gallons is prolly already overkill?..
system= 2.4b@2953 1.85v(i'm trying to kill it so i can get a 2.4c really i am.. even forgot to turn the pump on last night and it got up to 82C but still didn't die :( )1 gig 2700 crucial ddr.. 9800pro etc..
45c~ idle 49c~ load think my abit ic7 is full of .... tho.(had a slk947u before h2o and last i checked it was showing 48c idle 58c load at stock speed/volts no matter what fan i used on it.. or what kinda paste.. tried 3 including as ceremique. re-seated it many times..even tried taking the IHS off the cpu.. fun fun)

no "welcome to the forums" stuff either plz btw.. I registered over 2 years ago so i'm not a total nooblet(though this post could seem otherwise...) just a dumb*** that forgot his password and finally got cable..(aka new isp) kinda got off the topic a bit sorry.. I'll Stfu now.

Last edited:
sleeping leezard pic.. just because.
leezard.JPG

(some people will look for any excuse to play with a digital camera..me thinks)

let your pet lizard enjoy its home... Plastic or Glass will not help your temps because res does very little to radiate heat... It just takes longer to change the water temperature but it will happen in the long run.

cute lizard btw ;)

what sort T are you getting and your spec?, that tank is too big as already mentioned, use a T-Line, its clean, easy to use and saves space!!

K, nm about the bigger "res" idea. lizard can have it (he's in a 10 gallon atm and he's supposed to grow to 3feet.. but anyway)

new question.. do these temps seem right for a rbx (stock jet) using a 250gph pump? pic..
toohot.jpg

as i said in my rambling above I had a slk947u heatsink before this water stuff which is supposed to be one of the best heatsinks avail.. and yet I got suck *** temps with it. I have read that my mobo(abit ic7) can read 10-15C too high.. is this what is happening here ?... cause i've pretty much given up.. and i have a 1foot block of copper on the way planning to make my own gpu block whee..(= a bunch more heat)
room temp is around 25c btw. not sure about the water

*note*the cpu rpm speed in the pic is from the dual fans i have twist-tied onto my ram heatspreaders cause i like to pretend it does something.
*note#2* yes this is under load..

and another one at stock speed voltage...cause i want comcast to disable my account and i like making people on dialup suffer.
2hot2.jpg

idle temp is exactly the same.. 45c
and no, i really didn't let the water cool between tests..BUT, when i first turn my comp on after sleeping each day lowest idle temp i've seen at all is 41c.. which leads me back to my mobo lying about temps.. time to get a probe

If anything just go with the plastic one, let your lizard be comfortable, throw some ice in it, and insulate.

Any increase in the surface area of you water will increase your cooling, unless you chill, in which case the opposite is true. If you are using a 20 gallon aquarium, you can probably take the radiator out of your loop, unless you make a LOT of heat. How much does distilled water cost in your area?

hell 1 gallon of distilled water only cost a buck, yeah for that huge res u dont need a radiator..

I can agree a bit on the temp statement. To high!
I know thet the IC&-Max3 is worse with temps then the P4P800 (dunno why but it is) I get mine with a WW at full load (after running for 8 hrs Seti and Sisoft CPU burn) at 37c. Idle is 33c

But then again, my MoBo sensor tells me that my ambient is 32c.. and it is 21c ;-)

There's no way in hell your system temp is 40 degrees. I have an IC7-G and a Max 3 unfortunately. The Max 3 is even worse than the IC7-G in regards to temp readouts. Don't trust anything that winbond chip tells you. Try to get a thin probe pressed under the socket with the tip wedged toward the center of the cpu. I'd get decent temps that way, works better than placing a probe on or near the IHS.
But rest assure your WC system is most likely performing better than what's reported. Grab a compunurse and you'll get a more accurate (not perfect, but better than any calculation from the m/b) measurement.

Thanks for the advice. just ordered 2 Compunurse dual led probes. ($27w/shipping.. well over $200 for wcing so far woohoo.) those will prolly take forever to get here.. copper should be coming in a couple days for my homemade gpu block "project".. so no before and after temps i guess(assuming i can actually make a block with my drill + hack-saw + files + jb weld + lotsa sandpaper plans and i don't kill the card while at it..) will maybe post some pics of that carnage..

OgreX

updatage incase anyone actually read through my bs post/cares.. the temp probes finally came and it appears my ic7 wasn't lying about temps after all.. even though others have reported it to read 10-15c too high.. so I thought i would play around with the rbx "jets".. tried it with no jet at all first..about 1c lower load than stock *for me*.. then #5(with small holes) another 1c lower(46.5c load at 1.85v) guess my 250gph pump is the cause of the still "high" temps but i think i gave up on caring...

as for the gpu waterblock project. . . sux0r.
mmmcopper.JPG

diecopper.JPG

would prolly help if the drill actually stayed charged more than 5 mins at a time with 7+ hours charge time tho.. so i gave up on that also till I find a drill that actually plugs into a wall(oooh!) and doesn't come with screwdriver bits..(dremal doesn't work too well with drill bits btw...) i'll shaddap and go to bed now.

edit- P.S. all the people i read about before switching to w/cing that said they use watercooling because it is sooo much quieter need to die in a fire. thx
P.S.#2 water temp = 28.5c

Last edited:
If you want quiet, you're going to have to ditch those 80mm and 92mm fans and go with a quiet 120mm fan. I use the aluminum on that does 79CFM at about 2000-2200RPM.

As far as your temps, the RBX, WW, and Cascade all perform much better with a high pressure pump such as the Mag3. The Mag5 doesn't make much more pressure and just adds watts to the water temp.

yes, please excuse my awake too long/****ed at watercooling comment. i did switch to one of the 80cfm 2000rpm 120's but it's still kinda loud prolly cause it sits 1 foot away but o well..
rad.JPG

temp.JPG

(water/room)

I know you are all wishing this thread would just diiieee already but this *should* be my last update... and this thread can rest in peace after..

project "gimp waterblock" continued.
card.JPG

gimpy.JPG

naked.JPG

the copper after lots more drilling fun..
block.JPG

block2.JPG

the yellow "top" is/was actually a old baseball trophy/plaque-thing that got sacrificed cause i couldn't find anything else and well it's neon yellow.. (was planning to use another piece of copper as the lid but the thought of hack-sawing another one and drilling holes in it etc without a vice or anything made me wanna OD on happy pills.)
done.JPG

after lots of jb weld and alot less braincells.. done. and it only took half a week... good thing i have no life whatsoever
results:
stock cooling = 385 max core o/c 83C Load temp YES, 83c.( i for one think vid card companies use weak cooling on purpose.. either so the cards don't last long or so people with half a clue put better cooling on the card thereby voiding the warranty..)
project gimp = 48C max load temp.. max core o/c without seeing artifacts in 3dmark2k1se = 393mhz. . .(was expecting to go alot higher with 30+C lower temps but oh well story of my life) but hey! no burning plastic smell now!... yet

and just a FYI.. the ramsinks = thermaltake "ALL COPPER" sinks that just happen to be aluminum inside after cutting... was planning to make some out of the big block but um.... i don't like copper anymore.

OgreX

Back