• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My new install, strange thing happened.....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eeglot

just installed 2 Raptors in SATA RAID 0, all was going well, set up my RAID, booted from the Windows XP CD, installed the SATA 1.21 drivers, Windows loaded in like 10 min. My copy is an older XP Pro copy that does not have SP1 on it. I am running a 2500 Barton on a Abit NF7-S board. As it was installing devices, I got a couple of warnings regarding that the devices were not logo signed or tested. To be honest, I have built many systems, and several NForce setups, and never seen these warnings when installing the devices. One I recall was for the SATA drivers, which, at the time I understood, since that was the only hardware I added, and figured with it being new technology and all........so I cont. anyway,a nd installed the device. Another one came up, and if I recall was for the NForce digital sound. This really confused me, cause like I said, I have loaded this copy of Windows several times on this board, and XP, on other systems many times and never seen these logo warnings.

So, it all got in, and booted up fine, then I tried to install the 3.13 NForce drivers. I had had them on previously on my IDE drive with this copy of Windows, and had no problems. Well it never finished installing the drivers, it just rebooted, and would not load Windows because a driver file was corrupt or missing xxxpnp.rdr file, or something. I didnt write it down unfortunately.

I installed Windows twice, same thing happening when I tried to put the NForce drivers in. What the heck?? I have installed these a million times. Finally, I chose to reapair, and saw several NForce audio logo warnings at the loading device screen again, and this time selected, "NO", not to install the devices. I went fine, and after it reapired, all my drivers were in there for the NForce chipset except the audio drivers.
Later, doing Windows update, I installed the NForce sound drivers, and everything is fine now.

Can someone shed some light on possibly what I just went through, so I can possibly figure out what happened, so I can handle it better next time?
Like I said, I am not a newbie to building systems, or installing Windows, but I can honestly say that I have never seen any logo warnings when it is installing devices, and never seen NForce drivers crash while going in, and corrupt a file so that Windows would not boot up.

Would appreciate any input!

Eric

The only thing that comes to my mind, is that I had the 3.13 Nvidia drivers installed still on the other IDE drive, (still running primary IDE, still bootable with my previous Win XP Pro), and that was messing things up. the IDE drive was still recognized as C:, and the new Raptors SATA RAID 0 config are rrecognized as D:.

Also I executed the install from my DL from the IDE C:, that already had the drivers installed on it, as I mentioned above.

sorry if it seems confusing, but I am just trying to find an answer as to what happened.
Could this be the reason the drivers didnt go in correctly?

I dled the drivers again from Nvidias site onto the new drives, and everything went in fine this time.

well, everything seems to be running good now, so if anyone can comment on my theory, that would be great.

Eric

i think i can take a shot

windows needed to be updated to run your hardwear im thinking thats what your problem was
and seeing that it worked after you did all your windows updates i think im right
actually before i even seen you say that in your msg i was just gona reply do all your updates and then try your problem installs
thats what i always do i update it ASAP then do all my installs
also doing that keeps that stupid Blaster worm off your pc
i get that thing like every time if im not mad quick on the updates

Back