• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kinerry

I've got an old system that just doesn't seem to want to work, this is obviously a problem for someone who knows more than me

It started when I got it, my cousin put in a new nic and it didn't have enough irqs to run it properly, but even then it wouldn't work because it woldn't load certain files for windows networking even though they were there

So I deleted the OS to start fresh, i tried windows xp first, but it never got past loading the same .dll file, so I tried windows 98

Installed perfectly, but when it went to reboot, it gives the same error everytime about a VxD and won't boot up all the way

I also tred using a harddrive with an os already installed and it gave me a device i/o error

I know these are all related somehow, because the errors are the exact same everytime for the methods I mentioned

Anyone have any ideas?

To be able to help you some more info might be usefull.

1) What is (are) the error message(s) you get?
2) System specs. (Not really needed).

Did you try to install windows with as little as possible (IE: Only CPU, RAM, V-Card, Keyboard and mouse).

Did you try the "fail safe" option in BIOS (My system doesn't recognize my RAID card if I set "USB Keyboard/Mouse" to "BIOS" instead of "OS").

Assuming you're still running Win98:

Did you format the HDD? (You said you deleted the OS, but some hidden files will be left on the HDD if you delete all files, My RAID setup recently crapped out and I tried to repair it with no luck, well it does work but I can't use USB because WinME didn't overwrite a file (Probably System.ini, it also didn't overwrite my registry so I deleted it), as soon as I enable USB I get a BSOD saying blah blah blah Device PERF....system halted, and I'm sure it's not my MOBO or anything else as everything went fine when I installed the OS on a different HDD).

Have a look in the BOOTLOG.TXT file (Or boot while holding F5 and select to make a bootlog) somewhere it should say 'failed' or it just stops, you could load the OS step by step and see where it goes wrong.

btw, it's an old *** p1-133 system
I'm gonna try loading the os from the secondary ide cable, I'm thinking it might be an ide controller ot mobo prob

Kinerry said:
And a bootlog file is worthless if you cant boot the os to read it

There are 2 ways you can read it:
1) Boot from the Win98 CD and select to boot with CD-ROM support, goto the Win98 directory by typing the drive letter of the CD-ROM and hit Enter, then type CD win98 (CD=Change Directory), then type type Y:\>bootlog.txt at the X:\win98> prompt (X=the CD-ROM drive letter, Y=the drive letter on which the OS is, Most likely C: ), if the list is too long you can use the /p option which will show one page at a time untill you hit a key for the next page.
2) Hook up the drive to a working computer.

BTW: The 'type' command might work at the A: or C: prompt, but if it says 'unknown or invalid command' you need to go to the Win98 directory of your Win98 CD.

Back