• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Engine Ice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KILLorBE

Why have I never seen anyone mention Engine Ice?

The thermal conductivity (0.34 W/m-K) seems to be better as water (0.38 W/m-K).
It's not as toxic as antifreeze.
It's pre-mixed with de-ionized water.
It prevents corrosion.

What's wrong with this stuff?

Sorry I'm kinda new to WC'ing and I don't have a WC setup yet, but I'm sure gonna give it a try once I finished my current project...uhh and a few other projects.

BTW: If you follow the link and look in the FAQ you might find some usefull tips.

It seems to be a slightly better version of regular antifreeze.
Not really the greatest stuff to run in the loop but will do better than regular antifreeze.

this brings on a question i have about fluid, when mixing a UV dye into water, how do you prevent corrosion, doesnt water wetter and such color the water?

The UV dye, if put in correctly, should, when a UV light is shone on it, overshadow the Water Wetter by quite a bit. The WW wouldn't even be visible if you were just using a UV light, and not using a white light. Thermal conductivity isn't all there is when you are talking about cooling fluids. Another major factor, that water has a lot of, is heat capacity. Water can hold a LOT of heat.

i remember reading in the forums that deionized water is not really the greatest fluid to be using in a watercooled system because of the lack of ions in the water (?)

Ummm... That's one of the stupidest things I've heard in a while. Ions in the water don't really do anything, except conduct electricity.

AngryAlpaca said:
Ummm... That's one of the stupidest things I've heard in a while. Ions in the water don't really do anything, except conduct electricity.

we can all be nice no? ;)

The coolant looks good but I would want to know if it stains the tubing or not...
De-ionized water wont stay de-ionized for long time as it is in contact with metal and metal ions will get into the water but not too much. It still wont be 100% de-ionized but it does help with conductivity because if you compare the conductivity of de-ionized water and regular tap water youll see the difference.
However, keep in mind that de-ionized water might not mean distilled water hence it might still have some crap floating in the water

From what I understand distilled water leaches from the metal waterblock becasue of osmosis process.

Supposidly boiling normal soft tap water is the way to go.
Boiling the water will eliminate the micro organisms.

Distilling: the act of boiling and then recondensing water in an effort to purify it... I wasn't being not nice... Doesn't it HAVE to be distilled to be deionized? Or is the world just stupid?

-- Angryalpaca

Please elaborate on why it's stupid. Since DI water doesn't have any ions, it will grab ions from wherever it can, such as the cooling equipment in the loop (especially copper). Do you have a degree in chemistry, or did you just misunderstand what we're talking about?

I might misunderstand, but I do know that pure water has a good cooling capacity, and ions conduct electricity, and they probably don't help with heat too much. How much can that possibly hurt the copper?

AngryAlpaca said:
I might misunderstand, but I do know that pure water has a good cooling capacity, and ions conduct electricity, and they probably don't help with heat too much. How much can that possibly hurt the copper?

run your system with jusr regular water for bout 6 months and take your block apart... youll see

I thought we were discussing deionized, not distilled, versus tap. I'm definitely using distilled water.

From what I understand distilled water leaches from the metal waterblock becasue of osmosis process.

Your thinking of deionized water not distilled. We all use distilled water and its fine.

If this product comes mixed with distilled I think it would be great. I might give it a shot if I stay on water if so.

Onlypro said:
The process of deionizing can be done with normal tap water.
Distilled water is not deionized water, vise versa.

So take from car acumulator and read. What's written on it?
"Add only distiled water" (if it was still ionized it would be not too good)

How can be distiled water still ionized? hmm, let's think a bit... let's think a bit harder... no, I cannot guess, sorry.

btw, I consider using "boiled water" bad - oxidasion is fast there due to ions.

You can do fast check - check electric conductivity of (use CLEAN containers):
- normal water
- boiled water
- demineralized / deionized water
- distiled water
- redistiled water (usually double or tripple distilled)

I won't give results to allow you have some fun with "tests". When ions move easily, corrosion is more likely to appear. When dirt gets to water, electricial conductivity will increase, so keep water separated from enviroment. UV addicitives will probably increase electricial conductivity as well, but I haven't checked that - just guessing.

Thermal conductivity will be similiar with all "kinds of water" listed above, possible differences will be unnoticable.

Back