• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which Ram Best for OC on p4p800

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cruze105

hey guyz im a newbie here , and i was wondering what ram is the best for overclocking on the p4p800? I recently jus purchased 3.0c intel processor from a promotion through my company at COmpUsa. And i want the best ram to overclock it with. I was planning on buy two sticks of centon 512mb pc3500 at my work for a discounted price but im not sure if are good in oc. And my second choice was buying some corsair memory off newegg.
Any suggestions?
Also would it matter if went with corsair 512mb pc3200 compared to pc3500. would the pc3500 overclock better?

Thanks guyz help a newbie out;)

Since you got a 3.0C with a high multiplier of 15. I would personally get the Mushkin PC-3500 Level 2. It's rated at 2-2-2-6 @ 217 FSB (433 DDR)

217 X 15 = 3255 MHz

If you overclock the RAM to say, 2-3-3-6, it should probably be able to do 225-230 which will give you about 3375 - 3450 MHz. (1:1) Which is pretty damn good.

If you like loose timing tho, go for some OCZ PC-4000EL "GOLD" Cas 2.5. I also heard that the Corsair PC-4000 Pro is good with manipulating timings.

I'm a low latency guy, so I'd take the Mushkin Level 2 since they're guaranteed to come with BH-5 Chips. And 217 FSB @ 2-2-2-6 @ 2.5-2.75 Volts is pretty damn good. BH-5 likes voltage so there should be plenty of headroom, especially if you relax the timings. 2-3-3-6 is heck of a lot better than 2.5-4-4-8 :)

Considering you have a 3.0C you won't really get a high FSB.

I wouldn't rely on Corsair. I was lucky and got Version 1.1 which uses (at least on mine) BH-5 Chips. Apparently the newer revisions of the Corsair PC-3500/PC-3200 uses higher latency chips. CH-5 I think?

Speak of the devil, I'm currently fighting with the same thing. I'm running the same motherboard & a P4 2.4C that seems pretty happy at 290MHz FSB. The problem is I'm running OCZ 3500 Platinum and I can't seem to get it stable at that bus speed at anything other than 3:2

So basically the memory is stuck under clocked at a whopping 193MHz--though it is 2-2-2-6

Do you think I'd be better off dropping to 275 or 270 FSB and trying to get 220 or 2126MHz on the ram?

I think part of my problem is figuring out what timings to try. Is there a chart of something that goes from tight timings to looser ones? I've tried a bunch but not in any sort of scientific manner. Damn frustrating...

Any ideas/advice would be great.

Thanks.

My Corsair 3500 works great for me. I am not sure if I have the old version or new version, I also wasnt aware there was a difference :). I have taken my 2.4C to 3.26C without touching voltage to the processor yet witha 4:5 timing which just happens to be stock for this ram. Im sure the voltage to my proc is my downfall as of right now because I have had my ram at 223 before without a hitch.

Either way I would stay away from the Value RAM. The OCZ is good from what I hear, and ofcourse 4000 from OCZ or Corsair should get the job done just fine. Money would be an issue here though. Unless it isnt :D.

BTW, Could someone tell me how to check what version of my ram I have?

which would be better to get the muskin oem version or retail. Is it true that oem only comes with like a 30 day warranty and retail lifetime? obviously the oem is cheaper i dont know which one to get.

I am a retail person myself. The warranty just appeals to me as there is always that chance something might go wrong w/o me doing it :)

Im not sure on the price difference but personally I would pay the $5 just to make sure I got the warranty.

UnexplodedScot said:
Do you think I'd be better off dropping to 275 or 270 FSB and trying to get 220 or 2126MHz on the ram?

........B]

You need more juice! What's your vdimm at now? I think those Asus boards are limited to 2.8 vdimm. I've seen screenies of those Platinums at 240 with 2-2-2-6 but it was 3.2vdimm. Even 230 with 3.0vdimm should work at 2-2-2-6.

mushkin level2 pc3200 or pc3500 (should be very much the same stuff)

killer rams!!

Back