• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit IC7 Max 3 - Unlocking multipliers on P4 3.2 EE?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AudiMan

My friend just called me and said he heard/read that the IC7 Max 3 can unlock the multipliers on a P4 3.2 EE.

Can anyone confirm this?

I really doubt it but I just want to make sure.

I'll get back to him and see if I can find out where he heard this from.

If the CPU is unlocked, it is possible to change the multiplier on any board that supports changing it.
If the CPU is locked, you can't change it, period.

Yeah a MB can't unlock a locked CPU... IF that was the case we would all have MB's that could unlock the CPU as everyone would be doing it.... I think a few EE's might have just left the plant without getting locked... Maybe one of the people doing the speed binning was just lazy that day and possibly a few went out the door unlocked... I have a friend that works at I think it's FAB 26 in Arizona... Been told that some of the people working over their are just plain morons.... But they don't put the die on the CPU they just make the actuall DIE's their... They go oversees to be assembled to cut down on theft... Go figure... someone in a 3rd world country probably has the ultimate set-up at home with like 5 3.2 EE's that are unlocked that he happened to smuggle out of their...

That's what I thought. I was convincing him to get Mushkin PC-3500 Level 2, or BH5's at LEAST, but he insists on PC-4000, or 4200. Chances are slim that he'll get 250 FSB with a 3.2EE.

Well you should point him in the direction of these boards.... it's just known that BH-5 chips seem to run better than CH-5 chips when you give them juice... At least that is what I've seen...

Apparently the EE's still can't hit 250FSB even with sub-zero cooling. I read that somewhere - It's because to the extra cache or something.

By the way, Spedning money on the OCZ PC-4000 was a bad idea for me. I should have stuck with 2-2-2 RAM. Look in my sig,, My 5:4 runs WAY faster with the BH5 Corsair.

Back