• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard electronics question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lance Thornton

Hi all, I hope this thread is in the right area. I have 2 Biostar slot 1 motherboards. Both have capacitors that are going bad, one that I replaced all the bad ones and the other that I don't have the right value capacitors to replace yet. The boards each also have a coil that has gotten so hot that it has burned the insulation off of the wires. These coils are similar to toroids, but they look very close to a cap. (Cylindrical and vertical) I have checked with the local electronic store and he cannot get them but he recommended that I unsolder the bad ones and use similar wire that has a plastic coating on them to make a new one. Has anyone ever experienced this and could someone give me some guidance on the issue? I hope to have pictures up soon. Thanks for the help in advance.

It sounds like some sort of inductor. No walk-in electronics place would carry those, unless you've got some sort of surplus store nearby which would be worth a shot. Maybe some place like DigiKey, Arrow, or Newark carries them, should take a look.

If they don't have the exact same part, you'll have to make one like that guy you talked to said. My suggestion would be this:
Get magnet wire the same diameter, wrap it around the old core using the same amount of turns, and then solder it into place. It might work, but don't bet on it. McMaster Carr should have the right kind of magnet wire.

Good luck!

Thanks, I will try that at a later date. I think I will replace the motherboard with a known good Asus slot 1. I do have the catalogs to look through for the proper wire and I'll try to make one soon. Thanks again for the help.

Lance

Back