• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

codecs? or such

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

adrian nelson

i have a video and no matter what i do it will not play
i have the latest codec from dix.com and when media player contacts its codec server it cant find anything,
so what im looking for is ether a list of codecs i can download from somewhere, or something else the will help this.

i would host the file so you can download it and try but its 700mb

there's also a program called gspot that will tell you what codec a particular video needs to play....its either g spot or Gspot, or something like that...im sure you can find it

The Kazaalite Codec Pack is good, and it is what I use on my computer.
But I found out this weekend that it isn't for older hardware.

My cousin's computer is one I put together for her on the cheap. 450 MHz K6-2+ at 550, 384 megs of SDRAM, a 40 gig drive on a Promise controller card, and an SIS 32 meg video card.

I gave her a couple of Divx movies, and they wouldn't play properly. So when I went over for Thanksgiving, I brought a 32 meg TNT2 AGP card to trade for her crappy SIS. I installed it, and then the Klite codecs. But when I tried to play any video files, the audio was fine, but the video was nothing but some diagonal lines!

I tried everything, reinstalling XP, changing all of the BIOS settings I could think of, nothing helped. So I uninstalled the Klite pack, and installed Nimo. Success at last! Something in the Klite pack would not work with the older hardware, but Nimo worked fine.

It now plays Divx movies very well. I also installed PowerDVD, and it plays DVD's nicely also.

Another heads up for anyone fooling with old hardware. I tried the latest Detonator drivers, and the audio on video clips was distorted. So I went back to 40.72's, and everything was fine.

Nimo does not include an Xvid codec, it predates that one. But you can get it here, http://www.divx-digest.com/software/xvid.html .

update:
i downloaded that codec pack and now it plays good
the file i was trying to watch was all the animatrixs'

Back