• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IC7-G, Dual Boot, ICH5R-ATA100 Drive problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BaldHeadedDork

I have a hunch this is going to be like asking "Who's been hit by lightning on a Thursday in Moline, Illinois?", but here goes:

I have a 98SE/XP Home dual boot on my IC7-G. The XP is running on a pair of WDJB800's on the ICH5-R SATA channel, and 98SE is on a WDBB400 on the IDE0 Master. I have a pair of optical drives on the IDE1 channel. That works fine.

Here's the problem: I also have a 200GB drive that I'd like to install for use as a PVR drive on XP. But when I install it as the slave on the IDE0 channel with the XP drive, I can't load XP. If I select XP at the choice window during the boot, I get an error message that XP can't be loaded and the system reboots. Win 98SE will load when all four drives are plugged in. If I unplug the 200 gig drive and everything is fine.

I picked up this 40 gig drive to run a dual boot a couple of weeks ago. Before installing the second OS I hooked it into the regular XP installation and noticed that it didn't show up on my hardware list in XP. It would show up in the BIOS as a slave drive but not under My Computer or in the Device Manager in XP. When I swapped the location of the drives and made the 40 gig the master, the big drive disappeared, so it's not a hardware problem. The slave drive wouldn't be detected when I ran the Add New Hardware wizard, either.

Any tips? I don't know if I should be chasing a BIOS problem or if there is a setting in XP that limits the number of active drives? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

BHD

Back