• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hardly any difference with or without fan?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

apd

Registered
All,

I was getting 10 to 15C above room temp/res water temps in idle or load conditions. Under load the res temp rose 5 to 6 C and so the cpu always stayed 10 to 15C over res water temp.

So to identify the problem I took the fan of the rad. There was not difference in the idle temps. Load temps got 2C hotter than with the fan.

Something is definitely wrong here. I used different fan combos, 1)even used a table fan to pull air through the rad (used aluminum tape to form a shroud),
2)used the table fan to blow air on the rad,
3) a 120mm with shroud fan sucking air. The difference was 1C cooler temps.

So my temps: room 27.
With fan on rad = idle 37, load 43
without fan idle 37-38, load 45

What could be wrong?

Apd.

Very weird. Is the flow rate in your system fairly good?

What kind of water block are you using? And what kind of radiator/heatercore do you have?

Which way is your radiator fan blowing , into or out of the case?
Are there fans in your case other than the stock ones?
Is there a difference between your temps with the case door on/off?

The reason I ask is that you may be moving so much air in the opposite direction with your other fans that the radiator fan is "stalling" and not able to blow much air through the rad.
It can happen when an aircooler switches to water, and still has the motherlode of fans in the case.

You can also check to see that there's no restrictions around the front bezel, even take it off for now. Got a clogged filter? Dust in the rad making a lint blanket? Nice large opening in the case's front metal to accommodate that rad?

my bad for not putting my config.

I have an external system much like this http://www.overclockers.com/tips1067/

I have a E1250 and a ford F150 heater core. The WB is a swifty with the new 1/2" barbs. I do not have anything to measure the flow but there are no wierd angles and the E120 is pretty mighty.

I did reset the block and got no difference. How can I add pics here ?

APD

Well, it sounds like you checked it out pretty good. Are you positive that your pump is pushing a good ammount of water? It's not noisy or anything, right?

Pump sounds smooth. There are no air bubbles that I can see.

I am going to empty the system and fill it up again. I did not do any special bleeding. I just kept the top of the jar (my res) open and ran the pump for a few days with the pc off. the bubbles disappeared.

It is like I have hit a wall. (Will try to keep my eyes open next time :p ).

I will take some pics, put them up and l am sure one of you guys will go A ha! thats ur problem.

APD.

If the water in your reservoir is moving around a fair deal, indicating good flow rate, then that shouldn't be a problem.

What are you using for additive in your water? Are you doing anything "special", or do you have more than just the CPU block in circuit?

The res is about 1000 ml. It's a $1 plastic jar with a lid.

I am using 90% distilled water and 10% zerex.

I was wondering what I need to do to get the idle/load temps closer to the res temps. Since the res temps went up within 3 minutes of the load test, I thought that the block is getting the temp away from the cpu and dumping it in the res. The heater core seems to have a problem desipating the heat.

Boo hooo hooo!. :mad:

Not going to give up yet. Let me see if a nice chilled mug of Shiner
Bock lights any bulbs in my head.:D

APD

You may have to shake the heck out of your heatercore. I've had mine so full of bubbles that it cooled poorly, as the water couldn't distribute through all the tubes well.
In open air, bubbles dissipate easily. In a water system caught in a corner they can act funky, it almost looks like having a bit of plastic bag stuck in there (had an acrylic res once).

If your heatercore was used, it might need a good flushing out with some Prestone coolant system flush. Guess I hadn't asked that yet-used ones can have deposits on all the metal surfaces that stop heat transfer pretty well (but bad for us) especially if they used tap water to mix with the antifreeze.

Keep trying, bud. Got your back...

Back