• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Putting a rad in a res?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DOHCrazy

What, if anything, would happen, if you submersed your radiator in yoru res. Like a big fishtank res or something? wouldnt the water move the heat out of the water in the rad?
Just a question, as i dont have my WCing to try it yet.

I think some oil coolers work on that principle of having the rad fins inside a resovir and having water pass through them.

You cant really do that with a normal heater-core because the fins will oxodize(being made of aluminum). Also it would be difficult to direct the water flow properly through it.

edit: That setup you suggest would require two loops. A rad just sitting in a resevoir wont accomplish much.

It would work really well for short while but when you run it for a long time the water temperature will slowly reach the temperature of the radiator... If you look at the case where the rad uses the ambient temperature, the ambient temp is independent of the system temp therefore it cools better.

Well, after a long time the water temp will rise and then your cpu will be toast. Unless your using a huge tank, with a lot of surface contact I wouldn't do it.

Suma.

Using two loops = A waste of money. That would just add more steps, and more steps equals more heat insulation. You would still need to cool it, except you use another rad, and another pump, which, as we all know, emits heat. It seems to me that oxidization would occur more in open air, where there is more oxygen... Or does it need water to occur? If you aren't worried about oxidization, or are using something that that won't happen to, heat your BIG fishtank, and cool your processor silently as well.

You would need neverending water cooler circuits to do it effectively, your firts circuit being cooled by a circuit, which in turn needs to be cooled by a circuit, which in turn... etc.

Basically the best inexpensive, and near-slent, method for efficiency is Bong, or evap cooling - which can net you sub-ambient water temperatures. It is apparently a pain to maintain what with water loss and such though.

I've been planning to submerge my res- 2x 6' copper coils in a bucket and put the bucket in a mini-fridge. If I ever get a waterblock that is....

Here's an idea... Bong cool the watercooling loop. Bongs can get below ambient, right? Or was that article lying? Also, the big problem with bongs seem to be dirt and the like collecting in them, and you wouldn't like that in your CPU WB, would you?

Arkaine23 said:
I've been planning to submerge my res- 2x 6' copper coils in a bucket and put the bucket in a mini-fridge. If I ever get a waterblock that is....

That's basicly a water chiller..
Well, I do prefer a nicer one built inside the case, or even in a lil box instead of the fridge itself.

Or that's just me?

Suma.

I've seen this question pop up from time to time in several forums.

If you are able to move the water around, it will beat every air cooling, no doubt about that!

As pointed out before, it’s nice you can transfer the heat more quickly, but you are still stuck with it.
When you are using regular fans, you use air. That’s the good thing about air; there is loads of it ;-) Before you heat up an entire room….
So it’s also in this case a bad thing, no way you can get the same amount of water…….

In theory, if you have a pond e.g., you can use that. The evaporation of the pond will cool the pond down. Positive side is that you still can use your normal closed water loop, and NO fans are needed. And the best stable cooling possible for ambient temps.

You do need a powerful pump, to compensate for the hose length.

I thought closed loops don't lose flow nearly as much when pumping over a distance.

Last edited:
"don't lose flow nearly as much flow" Umm... I really don't understand, but, the longer the distance, the more resistance there is. Increased length = increased friction. If you were pumping long distances to a pond, or something, then you should use a second loop so as to not kill your flow.

the slight amount of pressure the pump makes does help with water flow but not a significant amount.
fhorst is right too
water to water... nope
you might as well not use a radiator at all if ur going to use a pond

You would need neverending water cooler circuits to do it effectively, your firts circuit being cooled by a circuit, which in turn needs to be cooled by a circuit, which in turn... etc.

Whether you are watercooling or air cooling... It always come down air cooling in the end.

No. You can convert heat to electricity in a variety of ways. My big issue with that is what do you do with 125W of electricity? The only application I could think of that needs that much electricity is heating...

*OFF-TOPIC*

That’s the good thing about air; there is loads of it ;-) Before you heat up an entire room….
So it’s also in this

Actually, after mt rig has been running for about 3 hours loaded (watercooled, but fans on the radiator) my room *noticibly* gets warm. My computer and CRT moniter actually heat my room. My room is totally air-tight when I close all the windows though. With windows open, and room fan on it stays at out-door temperatures.

Maybe a TEC? Maybe a thermocouple? Maybe heat water, cause it to convect, and turn a turbine, that turns a generator? (The last one is a bit out-there, with the amount of heat we are using) Why would you say fusion power plants? Why not just power plants? And please don't roll your eyes at me, unless you know what you are talking about, really well. I don't know the command, so it isn't an issue for me. :D

Back