• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

case can't exhaust

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

allcoholl

Registered
Okay, first off, my case (I have no clue what company made it, I completely forgot) has one of these weird things that would normally go over the CPU fan as the exhaust.

Anyway, my ThermalTake Extreme Volcano 12 seems to be too big for this to fit into the case correctly. I don't know what to do about this.. because I REALLY need exhaust. If I need to mod the case, can someone help me out with that? Because that'll be the first time I've ever done that. I'm trying my best to avoid it though. Thanks.

I'm not quite sure of your situation... sounds like a ducting principle, am I right?

Could you supply a photo or two?

Thanks,

Flix

You would first need to have the image hosted somewhere. Like the webspace your ip givs you or tripod, 50megs or a lot of people here use The Forum is Down . The Forum is down is used a lot by members so try the other places first :)

that's what I thought, because it had the whole "http://" thing there. Alright, well give me a good 20 minutes..

okay, so here are the pictures:

100123.jpg

100124.jpg

100125.jpg

100126.jpg

^ -- Won't fit over thermaltake HSF

100127.jpg

^ -- Cannot mount normal 80 mm fan with those mounting holes. They're made for the stupid thing that came with the case.

.. so does anyone have any ideas?

Typically, the type of drill bit used to make the hole for a door knob on a door can cut through steel. Other methods of making a hole include the use of metal shears, dremels and nibblers. If your going to use shears make sure that the type you buy are specifically made for cutting a circle. Straight-cut ones will leave you with a headache later.

P.S
It is always a good idea to sand down a newly bored surface to get rid of any jagged edges.

Hmmm.. this sounds like a case for mr. Dremel.

If you can, I would dremel a rectangular hole in the rear large enough to fit an 80 mm fan (or 70 if space is a problem), and then use a glue-pistol to mount it there, so that hot air is moved out of the case.

Cheers, Flix

what id do is measure how big the square is then mount a fan that size to the holes that are already there you probally wont cover the whole area but you also wont have to cut a hole in your case and you will have exaust

Would an 80mm fan fit there? If so it looks like you could juss drill some fan holes, put one up and be done.

I could be wrong

BalliN

I'd say it wouldn't give you a goodresult with a slot-cooler.

One of the main reasons is that slot coolers are usually not placed close enough to the CPU, but often placed in PCI slots in the bottom of the case where the cooler air would normally be! Essentially just sucking out the cooler air, and not the hot air.

Always remember the airflow theory, cool air should be push into the case from a fan in lower front part of the case, and hot air should be pushed out of it in the top part of the case.

That way you will get optimum airflow, moving cool air across your vid-card, over the CPU Heatsink/Fan and out of the case.

Cheers, Flix

allcoholl said:
...has one of these weird things that would normally go over the CPU fan as the exhaust.

Anyway, my ThermalTake Extreme Volcano 12 seems to be too big for this to fit into the case correctly. I don't know what to do about this.. because I REALLY need exhaust.

Exhaust? Doesn't a CPU fan blow air down onto the heatsink making it cooler essentially making it an intake? So if you do what you wanted to do, making a exhaust fan over the CPU + HSF, wouldn't it be pulling the air in opposite directions?
:confused:

Back