• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mag3 vs MCP600

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Suma

Which one is better?
I do care about the size though.
I know that the swifty is smaller, is it better? or equal to the Mag3?

Suma.

In terms of peak pressure head, they're about the same. In terms of peak flow, the Mag 3 has it. The Mag3's PQ curve stretches right a bit further, meaning that in general it is a better all-round performer as in it'll push at least as much flow as the MCP600 in very highly restrictive systems, but in lower restriction systems it will be pushing greater flow.

There is the issue of pump heat added to the water. The MCP600 will draw about 9W. The Mag3 about 35W, but in general use that will be more like 20-25W. Figure on your water being about 0.5-1C warmer with the Mag3 over the MCP600 for most setups. Unlikely that the increase in flow rate that the Mag3 gives will more than make for the extra heat that it dumps, so you're probably looking at about the same sort of CPU temperatures with either pump, or if anything, slightly in favor of the MCP600.=

So overall it's hard to say which is better. Both have their merits, but in the end the convience of the MCP600 makes it desirable, but the price point of the Mag3 makes it hard to go past too.

That's just a quick assessment of how I would look at both pumps. Some good testing of the issues I'm talking about would go a long way towards solidifying a preference. Buy both and test for us. :)

I could be wrong, but, if your radiator can take it, and is after your pump, but the heat difference would be negligible if existent. Most systems probably won't need the increased flow, but if you are using a Cascade, a Z-chip, and a Maze3 GPU block, in series, the increased flow and head pressure would probably work wonders. "Buy both and test for us." And then send the loser to me.

Well the Mag 3 has some cracking issues and needs some work to make leak-proof. But overall its a good pump. Some MCP600 pumps were known to break but BillA said the newer ones shouldn't. Otherwise I would agree with Cathar. It really depends on budget.

I have another problem with the mag3, it's 60hz.
We here use 220v/50hz. I can reduce the voltage to 110v w/o a problem. I can't reduce the frequency. :mad:

Suma.

Suma said:
I have another problem with the mag3, it's 60hz.
We here use 220v/50hz. I can reduce the voltage to 110v w/o a problem. I can't reduce the frequency. :mad:

Suma.

I think you meant, 'increase the frequency'.

The mag3 will lose performance running on 50 Hz power instead of 60Hz.

Aren't AC appliances always/almost always rated 50-60Hz? I've never seen anything that needs 50Hz or 60Hz.

no, not all motors are rated for both 50 and 60 Hz (depends also on their intended market)
a 60Hz (only) motor will produce more heat when run on 50Hz, perhaps beyond its specs

BillA is right.
Here's a mail I recived from Marinedepot.com
This pump is only designed for 60Hz. Running it under 50 or 55Hz will decrease the lifespan of the pump.

I wish it could run 50hz, it would be the optimal purchase
Suma.

Well, the Hydor L30 is in the Picture as well.
I can get this pump locally, and this pump is 220v/50hz.
It's small is it as good as the Mag3?

Suma.

Performance wise, just interms of flowrate, head, Mag3 is better that Hydor L30 but Im not sure how much of pump-heat will play in factor. L30 uses 27watt and Mag3 uses 35w... IF there is a significance pump heat generated my MAg3 I doubht it would make a difference which you buy but seriously I cant tell you for sure. I would LOVE to do a test...

Well the 220v version uses only 23w.
I can't find the mag3 on a 220v.

How do you like your L30?
Is it seald properly?

Suma.

Suma said:
Well the 220v version uses only 23w.
I can't find the mag3 on a 220v.

How do you like your L30?
Is it seald properly?

Suma.

I like my L30. Its quiet and performs well with little power consumption. I put tef tape on the threads of the fittings. I didn't do anything to seal the impeller chamber but no leaks... Im just using that blue thing that locks in. Its got an o-ring so I doubt it would leak...

well, basicly you get what you pay for.

Mag 3:
High head,
High flow,
High life span,
crappy pump housing,
big.
Inexpencive

Swiftech.
High head,
Moderate flow,
High life span,
great pump housing,
Small,
Expencive

BillA: what I would love to see is a test, one pump to the other, simple like that.

Jon

ToolBox said:
JFettig hit the nail on the head with what he said too. But, the crappy pump housing can be made up for though. Read through this to see what you can do:
http://www.procooling.com/articles/html/magdrive_tips_-_joe___3_31_00.php
Both are great pumps though.

How much drain would an MCP600 put on your PSU---just wondering?

only 9w so it shouldnt be much. Im sure Swifty took that into consideration when they designed it :D

JFettig said:
well, basicly you get what you pay for.

Mag 3:
High head,
High flow,
High life span,
crappy pump housing,
big.
Inexpencive

Swiftech.
High head,
Moderate flow,
High life span,
great pump housing,
Small,
Expencive

BillA: what I would love to see is a test, one pump to the other, simple like that.

Jon

How is the L30 doing using these parameters?

Back