• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

bringing back blowers once more...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Muku

blowers in evaporative

Ok recent talks of blowers have been very educational.
Got my brain working more...
What about using a blower in a bong setup?
Where I'm going here is that traditional evaporative coolers (for cooling rooms) use layers of open cell type material on top of each other, allowing water to spread out and slowly make it way down each level. This substatially raises surface area compared to a bong. Problem here is axial fans would be very noisy when rev'd high enough to get the pressure to push (or pull) air through these layers. So how about using a blower?
Much more pressure, and quieter. The bong could also be much shorter because the surface can be spread out flat. This eases distance the pump needs to push the water.

If you made the water drizzle out of a horizontal tube with small holes along its length, you could have the water spread evenly over these evaporator pads.
On a similar note, these pads can be found in many stores as exactly that..."evaporator pads"

you guys must think I'm in love with blowers by now....

Last edited:
hmmm, little response.
Well then I'm just going to have to make it.
I don't have to put up with this ignorance.
So what do you think of that? Huh?
May you all have a choodessny nighty wighty then.
I'm going to jam to use my gulliver and make some mighty sounds.
Then I'm going to begin design.
HA!

....take no offense, I'm a little wired. ;)

What kind of material is the "open cell" stuff? Is it like the fake steel wool type stuff? The plan sounds good, though. The mist generated from a typical bong setup does have a very high surface area though. I'm not so sure the setup you're thinking of would perform better than a traditional bong, but i think it would certainly make less noise.

its a plastic foam (nylon?) I got it from canadian tire.
bongs do have alot of surface area, but I think the foam would have much much more. as I said this has been used quite a lot to cool houses. even in a traditional bong, a blower would probably give better performance, with less noise.

LOL, 2 hrs, you call that little response... ;-)

Anyway, a blower would do the trick a lot better then an axial one.

it's made to create pressure.

Back