• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

getting ready to build a system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

VROD

hello to all,
i have been lurking around for a couple of nights gathering info.
getting cold and i was looking for a new project.
going to build a new system.
can i get some of your thoughts on some of the componets i recently purchased from newegg.

1. asus p4p800 deluxe/springdale

2. intel cpu 2.6c 800 mhz/478pin/512k

3.antec true 480 watt power supply

4. two sticks of 512mb/pc-3200 cl3 apacer/samsung ddram

5.new case to put it into which is a evercase #e4252-ab p4 atx md nps for 23 bucks.

question i do have, will my maxtor hard drive that is relativley new work in the new setup?
bought it within the last year.
i will use win xp pro as the os.

also any thoughts on the memory sticks i bought they were on the approved list from asus.
was trying to save a few bucks.

can someone recomend a video card,i am not a hardcore gamer or overclocker.
just trying to build a fast midlevel all around stable system for daily use.
i want to overclock it a little.
i will add some extra fans also to the case.
thanks for any advice or recommendations you can pass along.

I just got the ASUS P4C800-E for a new machine. Seems to be a nice board, no problems setting up.

Your Maxtor HD should work with no problems. If it's over 137g (I think), make sure you get SP1 for XP or it won't recognize the large drive.

Video card. Old system had an ATI 7500, didn't have many problems with it. ATI seems to have a hard time playing nice with other components. Once I got it configured had no problems. They are dirt cheap now. New system has a FX 5950 in it. First time with Nvidia but I'd say something around a 4600 could be picked up pretty cheap an work good.

Hope that helps a little.

i plan on using my 30 or 40 gig harddrive maxtor.
really do not want to spend too much more or my wife is going to blow a fit.
i have a ati video card 7000 series i think it is a agp 64 byte.
i will have to remove it from my current system to check.
hopefully this card will work.
i purchased it a year or so ago.
any thoughts on the apacer memory?

I've never used Apacer memory. It should do you Ok since you said you weren't planning to overclock. I've used Generic sutff in the past with no problems. According to their site the offer a lifetime warranty on their products.

The 7000 should do you pretty good. If for some reason it doesn't still work you can pick up an equivalent or better for about 36 bucks (www.pricewatch.com).

Back