• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

differnce in cooling between .36 and .14-.10 c/w?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

woods

I have been looking at the front page and have no idea how much of a gain I will get fromoing from a volcano 11+ to an DD RBX. Sure the #'s are pretty but they meen nothing to me as far as temp drop I should expect. SO my question is, if my temps are at 38C idle and 45C load with the volcano, then what should I get with the DD RBX water block?

That's hard to tell as it depends on the rest of your WC'ing setup, and there are other variables as well.

But lets assume the C/W value of your WC'ing setup is 0.14.
Delta = CPU temp - Ambient Temp
C/W = Delta / CPU Watts

Interpreting C/W: For every watt (CPUw) that the CPU consumes, the HSF will limit the CPU's temperature rise to (C/W x CPUw) plus the temperature at the HSF's fan inlet. For example, at an ambient temp of 25 C, a C/W of 0.25 with a CPU radiating 50 watts means that CPU temp will increase 50 x 0.25 = 12.5 C over ambient temp, or 37.5 C. The lower the C/W, the better.

Your Barton puts out ~68W, so your ambient temp. now would be (assuming you have the same fan as on the front page on max. speed, thus the C/W of the V11+ would be 0.36) 45-24.48(68x0.36)=20.52C.

Now do the same for the WC'ing setup, 68x0.14=9.52C over ambient = 9.52+20.52=30.04C (assuming ambient is the same).

Back