• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking a P4, 2.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Luchesi

Registered
Hello all ,
I am looking to buy a new chip for my Mobo (TH7 II Raid )but unfortunately it is limited to a 2.4 (400bus) so overclocking is an option i can take.
However i do not know how to overclock can anyone help in this ? I would like to overclock as much as possible without getting any cooling system . I have the retail fan and heatsink. is it possible to get to around 2.6 "or higher" without getting a cooling system.
If someone can tell me what settings to have these at , that would be even more appreciated... or direct me to a website with this information.
Mike

External Clock (cpu/pci) =?
Multiplier factor =?
AGPCLK/CPUCLK(agp clock)=?
Speed Error Hold=?
CPU Power supply=?
RDRAM Frequency Bus=?
Differential Current=?

CPU - P4 , 2.0
Mobo - Abit TH7 II Raid
Ram - 1 gig rdram

I've had a couple TH7-II mobos and they will overclock using the 533 bus CPUs too. I had a 2.66 overclocked to 3 gig for a while. Which 2.0 CPU do you have right now? Is it a Willamette? If your default vcore is 1.75v and if you have 256k cache, then it's a Willamette.

Thank you for your responses , Are either of you familiar with overclocking this set-up ( mobo and CPU)?
what i mean is I'd like to try to overclock to 2.6 but dont know what to put the Soft Menu settings on.

lock up the

CPU/APG/RAM ratio to FIXED
so that will keep the apg/ram at default speed

then change the CPU speed from default to User Defined
then pump it up to a small number and rite after u changed u'll see the reflect speed of ur cpu

and go from there.

OK thanks StealtheR, what about the "Multiplier Factor" its options are ibelieve
8-36

It's been a while since I've overclocked a TH7-II, let me try to remember.

The multiplier is locked on Intel CPUs. Default on a 2.0A should be 20X. Just leave it at 20X.

CPU Operating Speed should be set to "user define" in order to allow overclocking.

External Clock (cpu/pci) is the FSB and that's what you multiply times 20 to get your overclocked CPU clock speed. Start out with 110 FSB to give you 2.2 gig. That should be an easy no-brainer O/C to start out with. Increase a little at a time (maybe 5 MHz increments) then test for stability and check temps.

AGPCLK/CPUCLK(agp clock) should be set to "fix", this locks your PCI/AGP bus to default speeds.

Speed error hold should be disabled.

CPU Power supply is the vcore or CPU voltage. Setting this to "user define" allows you access to the voltage settings. Sometime you need to increase this to stabilize an overclock. Don't raise it unless you have to. Default is 1.5v and raising it also increases heat. If you have a stock cooler, I would not exceed 1.6v.

RDRAM Frequency Bus options are auto, 400, and 300. Basically 400=4X and 300=3X. Depending on your RAM, you'll have to set this at 300 at some point if you have PC800 RDRAM. For now it'll be ok to leave it on auto. If you want to reach your goal of 2.6 gig, you'll probably have to use the "300" setting.

Differential Current is one that never seemed to do much for me. Default is 6X. Several people I know claimed 4X was more stable for overclocking, but it never seemed to make any difference for me. I'd just leave it at default.

Good luck.

That is very detailed batboy , thanks a lot
Well as it turns out i can overclock to 2.3 and 2.4 , that is what it displays at bois boot , but will not load Windows XP Pro , however i can OC to 2.2 steadily , i may be doing something wrong with settings for over 2.2 . does this (Windows Boot) problem sound familiar to you ?

Boots, but freezes up starting Windows? That's common when you are unstable. probably needs more voltage. Check your temps before increasing vcore. Do you have a couple extra case fans at least? RDRAM systems do put out a little heat. Good case ventilation often helps with overclocking.

If this is an older 2.0A, then 2.4 gig is often about the max. If your load CPU temps are ok, then raise the voltage up a little and set the RDRAM memory frequency to 300

Last edited:
I did try to raise the Voltage to 1.525 then to 1.55 and put the ram at 300 but then the system didn't boot. Thats Ok I need to upgrade anyway 2.2 gig is a great OC anyway, to be honest with you I am only trying to OC cause..you may laugh but cause of a game that JUST came out ( Dues Ex ) i want to upgrade to the 3 gig chip with the new ATI video card anyway.
Just wanted to hold off for a little while cause I just bought a home and I cant afford it right now.
Thanks for everyones help , I appreciate you all taking the time to help me with this . maybe someone could offer some help on which 3 gig system to buy ie. Intel vrs AMD I hear that new 64bit chip is very nice , there is a gaming version of the chip is this true.
well anyway thanks again.

The AMD A64 and the high dollar top of the line FX51 are rather expensive. If you're on a tight budget right now, maybe just upgrade to a better vid card and see what happens. You'll need a better vid card regardless anyway. Even at a "mere" 2.2 gig, those old RDRAM systems had a lot of memory bandwidth. They were dual channel too. I bet your system will handle the new game ok with a good vid card upgrade.

I think my video card (GeForce 4 Ti 4600 128meg ram) is fairly up to specs with the new ones
But i bet those $500 cards out there are probably a lot better.maybe i will try just that.thanks batboy

I just thought of something. Those Abit TH7-II mobos tend to undervolt. If you haven't already done this, load the Hardware Doctor program off the Abit mobo install CD. You can download it from the Abit site if you don't have the install CD. Check your vcore and your temps with that program. If the vcore is less than what you set it at the BIOS, then you can safely increase the voltage more. I really think you need higher vcore to O/C more.

hmm , i think i may have that CD still laying around I will try it .
I will probably do this Tomorrow though , got to get my beauty sleep . I will update you Tomorrow, thanks batboy

Yes, a GF4 Ti4600 is still a pretty good vid card. Maybe you won't need to upgrade after all. Maybe all you need is a driver update and to overclock the vid card.

However, it's hard to beat a Radeon 9800 Pro (they are about $300 at newegg.com).

Back