• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

laptop temps, what difference?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Smirabi

hey folks. i just got a laptop (toshiba satelite 1292 BestBuy BlackFriday deal)... and SiSandra is reporting a cpu temp of 71C (that's 160 degrees F!)

this temp was reported while it was folding (for team 32 of course) so i stopped folding and hit refresh in Sandra until the temp stabilized at around 51C. then it climbs back up 60 before the fan kicks in again to cool it.

so, if the fan kicks in at 60 to keep the chip cool, and folding puts the temps at 70+ constantly, is this bad? meaning, is 70 too high of an operating temp, for a laptop?

thanks for your time

My laptop does the same thing, its often 65-70C folding, no problem. I guess laptop cpus are designed to run a lot hotter. In a test, by folding with it on a pillow, i got it to 91C!!! (it didnt crash). Mine is a dell laititude C400 with a p3 1.2ghz. I have been folding on it for about a month now.

huh. well, i guess that answers it. i would have guessed that 91C is too hot for a p3... or for any chip. but i guess i would have been wrong.

any other people out there like to abuse your laptops by artificially inducing high temps?

Yeah, I stopped folding on my laptop once I realized how much battery it took. The fan was also annoying to hear since it was always on. Sounds much better with the fan off ;)

Unless your laptop has very good airflow (the bigger Dell's f.ex.) I cannot recommend folding for them.. I've actually melted one during my folding exploits!

Temperatures in laptops are usualy very high, and cooled using various heatpipe based cooling sinks.. so in general heat spread is very poor......

So don't be worried with high temps on those laptops.. If however you want to keep it cool in true OC / forums style, you might wanna check out the possibility for changing the fans.. (from stock 30/40 mm fans to som high speed ones)... But beware, screamy noise time!

Cheers, Flix

yes... an answer with that "oc style." maybe not folding is better than having a screaming laptop. yeah, probably so. thanks for the idea tho, i hadnt thought of that.

Back