• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual 80mm, JR-120, or Chevette?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

feyd83

Seeing that Christmas break is coming up, I'm gonna be having the time, and the equipment, to do a total revision on my computer. I'm currently trying to decide whether to keep my current double pass, dual 80mm radiator from sysfx.net (I'd give a link, but their site hasn't been up for weeks, bottom out?) or to switch to a DTek JR-120 or a Chevette Core.

I originally thought my load temps of 15C above ambient were due to my radiator, but I'm not so sure now that I found out many of the channels in my WW were blocked by the magical pixies that also seem to inhabit my PSU. "Supposedly" my dual 80mm rad is supposed to dissipate more BTUs than a heater core, but I can't verify that since their sight is down, and I don't know what those numbers where based off of, test reliability, and so on.

If I'm convinced to switch, that brings up the whole painful subject of radiator placement inside my PC-6083.

Suggestions, comments, anti-pixie measures?

Well, try cleaning out your WW and see if your temps drop. If not, go for a different heatercore, if they do I'd stick with your current one.

Hm, would I see a drop in performance then? I'm think that a 120mm fan will be insanely quieter than 2 80mm, at equivalent CFMs of course.

not necesarily.

To get anywhere near 80cfm you're looking at 35dba plus.

Or 2x40cfm 80mm fans would be like 32-35dba.

It really isn't much of an advantage if any.

Although the 80mm fans would produce a whine...

I'm rather interested in a dual 80mm rad myself...do you know any other place to get something like that feyd83? Also...if you plan on selling your dual 80mm and upgrading, I might be interested in picking it up from ya. :)

I would think that 1 35db fan would be quieter than 2 35 db fans. Or atleast it seems so to me. I've got 2 80mm Mechatronic fans pumping out around 53 CMF and mid 30 db's each. I can tell a huge difference when only one is running, as opposed to 2.

I'm rather interested in a dual 80mm rad myself...do you know any other place to get something like that
I think there's a dual Black Ice micro, but I have no idea how well it performs.

I'm thinking hacking and slashing my lian-li to try and fit a JR-120 in the front would be fun. But I don't think there'd be any room for my pump :( It's already pretty tight in there.

a 120mm with a shroud would not push anywhere near its cfm rating though the rad due to the high static pressure. id stick with the dual 80mm fans.

i have the jr-120 n im loving it n my enermax 120mm fan is way quieter then 2x 40cfm 80mm's its about the same as 2x 30cfmers but pushes about 94.92CFM @ 30.10dB so i say its way quieter then 2x 30db 80mm n pushes way more air

with a duct like that you wont be pushing any where near 90 cfm. the cfm is a function of static pressure, the more pressure the less flow. with 120mm fans the graph is very flat, and the flow drops off sharply as pressure increases.

Back