• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heatsink for new P4 system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Onizuka

I need to choose a heatsink for my new system. Its going to be a 2.6c on probably a IC7-G Max3. I may play round with overclocking a little, but nothing really big. I need to know which heatsink I should go with. Is the Vantec Aeroflow good? I think its either that or a Thermalright.

TIA

Errr ...... but Thermalright is a CPU heat sink while Vantec Aeroflow is a heat sink fan. You need to get both :) or you could choose another heat sink fan to match your Thermalright etc....

By the way which model of Thermalright you intend to get ?

SLK 900A or SP-94 ?

errr...I mean that Vantec heatsink....hmmm thought the name was Aeroflow...oh well.

As for Thermalright I dunno. The SP-94 looks like major overkill for me. I was thinking maybe 900 or 947....?

Ooooops ... you are right that Vantec's Aeroflow is indeed a heat sink + fan package ... I've got mixed up with the vantec fan .... ;)

One advantage of Thermalright HSF is that they accept both 80mm and 92mm fan and you can select your own fan to balance between power and noise level.

I'm using the SP-94 and it is indeed a very well design piece of heat sink. My temperature drops some 5C after I switched from CPUMate to SP-94 :)

Onizuka said:
errr...I mean that Vantec heatsink....hmmm thought the name was Aeroflow...oh well.

As for Thermalright I dunno. The SP-94 looks like major overkill for me. I was thinking maybe 900 or 947....?

I can vouch for the sp-94 also, I coupled one with a 80mm tornado and the temps are MAD. Sorry for shouting its just I developped a hearing problem since I set up the tornado.

Bottom line: IMO, you cant go wrong with sp-94.

Cheers!

The sp-94 is a great heatsink but it is a little pricy.

Where did you find sp-94 that in Gatineau, Quebec? I have a hard time finding thermalright products in Montreal, do you have them around there?

We all think ,just a little OC.Once the bug bites you, you want more.Do your self a favor and get the best HS available.Other
wise you'll spend your money twice.Get the SP-94 HS,and be happy.Get you some quality thermal interface material.( T.I.M. )
Arctic Silver is the preferred flavor around here.A.S. 5 -or A.S.
Ceramique.Both are excellent.Now the fan thats another matter.
Once you decide on a HS,you can decide on a fan for it.Ain't it fun?
THE FANMAN:cool:

Forgot to ask, can the SP-94 fit on the Max3? I saw one thread that said you had to take something off the mobo....

Yes that is true. The mobo must be removed to install the X plate
on the back of the mobo,to support the wieght of the SP-94 HS.
If you go to www.thermalright.com they have a install guide in
the support section.If you do decide to buy the finest HS available.Be sure to copy and print the install sheet as it doesn't come in the box with the product.They also have a listing for mobos that are a problem on the clearance of the HS.Check it out
and see whats there. THE FANMAN:cool:

The Aeroflow is a very functional piece, but the quality control on the 70mm TMD fans they use is pretty poor. If you get a good fan it's a great deal, if not, you don't have huge options.

The SP94 is a work of art. Even my mother was floored at the obvious quality and engineering present, it truly is a work of modern art. My mother is 62, and no PC freak (although a heavy PC user). I had never seen her show an interest in PC hardware before, beyond what it could do for her. We handled and discussed the SP94 for about an hour, praising its magnificence.

In addition to being a divine piece of techno-art, the SP94 is the best P4 heatsink currently available. Its mounting is awesome, it's worth pulling the motherboard and removing the stock plastic tree to mount it. And it gives you the choice of all the 80 and 92mm fans on the market. I've only tried 10 or 12 on mine. With a loud fan the SP94 is clearly better than any other heatsink going, and loses less of its cooling power with a quiet fan than any unit but the Zalman 7000. If you see the PC as a hobby your money is rarely better spent than when you purchase a SP94.

Back