• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

100% coolant

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I think it might work, but the actual cooling properties of coolant aren't that great, I don't believe. I think the point of coolant is to reduce/eliminate the inadequacies of water.

Depending on the strength of the pump, it might pump rather slow.

Otherwise, the heat transfer would suck fairly bad also.

coolant = corrosion and bacteria protection

The coolant generally protects from growth and corrosion. Most of it also reduces the surface tension of the water, but, none of it increases the heat capacity or heat transfer.

Oil based: Forgive me, but I do believe that oil and water do not mix. At all. Coolant, therefore, must not be oil based, or it would separate from the water, and float at the top of your reservoir.

Coolant like antifreeze is ethylene glycol based...pretty nasty stuff. Generally, like you said, it's too think for a pump to pump efficiently. It also has worse heat transfer than water...so if you were to use it, the combination of slower flow and worse transfer would...um...EAT YOU ALIVE!!! AAHHH!!

Or something.

Just wanted to point out that water is a coolant. Antifreeze is essentially an additive. So, referring to antifreeze as the coolant is a concept error...

There are no antifreeze's that are oil based. They are normally either ethylene glycol based or propylene glycol based. The increasingly more common alternative is organic acid technology based (OAT).

There are a gazillion guides on the internet for choosing antifreeze's and how they work. Google is your friend...

Mark

The mixture i'm gonna be using is gonna be RO water(99.99% pure) chemically mixed to make it netrual again (non acidic) about 85-90% this and then the rest Zerex Super Protectant, not the Racing stuff most people get because it serves as great corrosion inhibiter and has the same effect as watter wetter but not colored, so i can ad my own coler uv dye.

repilce said:
The mixture i'm gonna be using is gonna be RO water(99.99% pure) chemically mixed to make it netrual again (non acidic)

where can you get this? or can you do it yourself?

Back