• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

idea for northbridge pins?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

clifton23

Registered
Anyone had any ideas on how to get a waterblock or something to mount on the northbridge without the holes? Ive been brainstorming but still havent come up with anything.. anyone else?

Hmm I saw a nifty trick I think it was on bit tech. I searched for it but I couldnt find it. Ill try and explain what they did but its pretty hard to explain without looking at the picture.

Take the abit metal ring off. Now cut the circle ring at the joints at both sides where it meets the clip. What you should have left is a perfect circle wich you throw away, and the 2 long brackets wich go on under the hooks.

drill a hole through the 2 long brackets you have left (the ones that go under the hooks in the center. Now you mount the block on the nothbridge and use like a old pentium 1 clip across the top and screw it into the 2 side brackets that ckip under the hooks.

oh my, I better find the picture. Ill look for it for you. Its very elegant and you dont have to drill through the motherboard or anything. all your doing is cutting the ring but using the existing hook locks from the ring and using a cross bracer over the top of the block and screwing it into the old ring bracket wich in turn goes into the hooks.

that sounds pretty easy.. what i was thinking of is getting a metal piece that goes from top hook to bottom hook on both sides and then drilling a hole in it to use my existing dangerden screws and springs. but i dunno how well that will work..

Don't think it will.....the hole will be off center. I fought with it too, I was going to take a dowel pin (steel) and run it up and down through the clips. I was then going to either weld or fasten a bolt in the center at which point I would be able to mount the DTek northbridge cooler. I used heatshrink tubing to simulate the OD of the dowel and boom, off center it is so I just tossed out the entire deal and bought one of these. Works like a charm. ;)

http://www.dangerden.com/mall/blocks/zchipset.asp

Back