• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Chipset Cooling question...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

XunknownX

Disabled
I have a MSI K7N2G-L mobo and the chipset has a heatsink on it. Now I wanted to add a fan. Just not sure how I would mount the fan. If I order a 40mm fan will it just screw into the heatsink like some CPU HSF's?

looking at newegg's pictures:
newegg's pics )

it seems that you can't just screw the 40mm fan onto the heatsink .. there seems to be no place to put the screws into all 4 corners.

Can I assume that the aluminum thing that says "AGP8X" is the chipset sink?

If so, one can do wonders with insulated wire cut off of an old case. Run the wire under the bottom edge of the sink to the OPPOSITE side of the fan's screw holes. Then so the same for the other side. If you do this correctly, your wires will form an X on 2 sides of the sink. This will hold any smallish fan on there.

I've seem others just use a few dabs of silicone caulk to glue the damn thing on there too.

I have the K7N2G-L......the K7N2G-ILSR already has the fan on it. But I didn't want to spend the extra $30 or so dollars for SATA and a chipset fan. There is a way to mod it I'm sure. Just trying to find the easiest way. I don't want to remove the heatsink on the chipset....not even sure if I could. I will find a way. If you guys have suggestions, then that would :attn:

I put one on mine using twist ties, I know, it's funky but it works for me.

Not familiar with your board but the HS usually ataches with two nylon hold-downs. Go on the back of the board and squeeze to release. Carefully remove the HS and see if it has the pink pad on it. I checked both my Epox's and they had the pink pad covering about 60% of the chip, not good for eficent heat transfer. I removed the pink stuff using OOPS and replaced it with with white compound applied the way it should be. I think the chip is concave so you might want to use just a tad extra compound in the middle.

PS Did you know Johnny Depp defected and moved to France?

Last edited:
From what I've read most NB HSF's are glued on by modders, if
there are no mounting holes.Either super glue or hot glue gun.
There is a high temp glue stick avalible, that doesn't get soft from the heat source.Other than the glue gun.I would use the hot glue gun over the super glue.From looking at the pic at newegg, if that is your NB HS,it either has a fan or not made for one.I'll look at your rig pics.THE FANMAN:cool:

Heres a pic of his rig. You can see the NB HS in it.I'd just hot glue a fan on it.The mobo in the link above obviously is not what you have. :D

2.jpg

This may give you a idea on a mounting of the fan.

MOUNT LINK

Last edited:
Back