• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

epoxy enough?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Valk

im kind of thinking of doing a wee little cooling mod to my radoen since im bored. I have this amd stock heatsink that is all aluminum. I think it will work well with the zalman 92 mm fan blowing at it *which it is doing to my stock cooling righ tnow*.

question: do you think that epoxying some screws to the bottom of the heatsink will be strong enough? I was thinking of getting some fine flat heat screws and bolts to holy this heatsink onto my gpu.

I might use springs on the back of the card for retention too, which would put less stress on everything i think. major problem though, will epoxy hold... I would drill holes in the hs base, if i had the ability. but sadly, im technologicly challenged right now for mods. what do you think?

Hey Valk,I found this at the homepage.But to answer your Q,epoxy works great for your purposses.I've seen a article were the guy epoxys 4 eyeletts to his mobo to use springs to test heatsinks.You shouldn't have any probs.as long a everything is clean.I got you a link to a article youve prob. already read.But here it is. THE FANMAN:cool:

LINK :D

LINK

LINK

Last edited:
thanks man ^^. i guess ill try this with the amd sink and some bolts. im a little afraid that one day ill come home and find the heatsink sitting near the bottom of my case and the radeon pitch black =|oh well, if ic an get this to work, then it should work as well for an sk6+ too. which is only $19. so yea, here is hoping.

I've used epoxy for quite a few projects and I think it will be alright to hold the screws on. I have a few suggestions though. Make sure the screws and the heatsink your gluing to mate together well, rough up both surfaces a little bit with some sand paper and clean both surfaces with alcohol before using the epoxy. That way you should get a nice strong bond.

wicked. thanks. my geek, what im doing is simple. im just taking a standard socket a amd heatsink, glueing two flat head screws to the base and running those through the mount holes on my 9800. im going to use washers , springs and nuts to hold it together and with good retention to my gpu. i would drill holes in the base, but i dont have any tools. which is why im using glue ^^. I was just a little woried about the bond failing and the heatsink falling off my radeon rofl. but ill go on your words that it wont. its not perminent.

Back