• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

watercooling temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

necromanx13x

I just got all my watercooling stuff last week and after installing it all my CPU temp still seem pretty high, about 40C idle. I have it set up as follows:

Eheim 1250 - Black Ice Extreme Rad - D-Tek WhiteWater - Bay-rez - back to pump

Im using 1/2"ID tubing and i have a 92mm fan blowing air into the rad and a 120mm fan sucking air out on the other side. Also, Im using OCZ Ultra II.

I have my cpu running at 223x11 now at 1.95V
System temp is 24C
Room temp is currently ~21C

Do these temps seem high and what can I do to lower them?

Is the WW lapped properly? Also I would have the 120MM fan blowing air and 92MM fan sucking air. But thats e.

I didnt do anything to the base of the white water once I got it, I heard that they had fixed the problem with the poorly lapped bases and the base on mine looked ok. I was thinking about getting another 120mm fan for the front of rad but will that really lower my temps significantly? I still think the temp is pretty high for what I have now.

Yeah, I realize that the temps are probably totally inaccurate but even with my aircooling setup I was getting about the same temps.

necromanx13x said:
Yeah, I realize that the temps are probably totally inaccurate but even with my aircooling setup I was getting about the same temps.

hmm that doesnt sound good. There are many reasons to why that might happen...

1. WB mounted incorrectly
2. Bubbles
3. Not enough flow
3.a: something clogging the tube
3.b: something in the WB, pump
3.c: Tube kinking
4. Fans on HC not blowing hard

5. list goes on and on....

thats like my temps @ 2500mhz @ 2.2v
lol
maybe u just need to wait for the thermal compound to thin out
or try remounting the sucker
check if ur waterblock is warm to the touch, if it is, something could be restricting the the flow.
like once i found a case screw in my waterblock intake :-/

i work in a mess, in fact, my case is a mess.
this was my first rig, and i had black tubing to top it off
plus i was using a 2quart res. (tupperware) with the cover off so its not hard for anything to drop in there.
its high unlikly to happen to necro, but with WW small channels i wouldn't be suprised if something was clogged in some/all of them.

hmm, everything seems fine, no bubbles, kinks, or anything. I think ill order some AS5 and then try reseating the block once that comes. I also took apart the block before i installed it so i dont think its blocked. I also didnt lap the base or anything, could that be it?

I would have to say that those temps arent bad considering how much voltage you have running through your processor. They could be better, but they arent bad.

he said, 1.95v
i would seriously consider remounting the block
if u just got the block recently, it should be okey and not require lapping, although lapping would help if done right.
r u using a shim by any chance? whenever i install my block with the shim kind of tipped or something, i get horrible temps at even stock

nope no shim, ill try remounting the block a little later tonight after i finish some work if i have time. When I remount it, should I also reapply thermal paste?

shouldn't need to..
check the imprint that the cpu die should make (all 4 corners there?)
if there is something weird looking about the paste, reapply it.
my tube of artice alumina had gunky white stuff with the first application which gave me 50c+, then when i put some on my chipset afterwards, it was actually pasty then i figured it out.. anywho, don't job to any conclucions, like ILikeMy240sx said, "list goes on and on....."

before worrying about the watercooling setup and the block and stuff, i would try to find out my realy temps if i were you. The temps from the board are nowhere near accurate, even if they were the same on air, it doesnt matter, try putting a thermal probe touching the edge of the core, but not in between the core and waterblock, then see your temps i bet your temps are actually a lot lower..

I get about the same temps with my rig. AXP's seem to get really really hot with voltage. When I'm at stock speeds/voltage I get about 6C above ambient. It skyrockets past about 1.7v though.

necromanx13x said:
I also didnt lap the base or anything, could that be it?

OOo i forgot you had a D-Tek WW... That might be why plus the block mounting. when you get your AS5 make sure you apply a thin layer, lap the block, and re-mount it carefully...

Back