• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me quiet my computer down...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ttfrog

Right now, my computer sounds like a low speed hairdryer, slightly muffled. I'm not sure how else to describe it. It's too loud for my tastes, and I really want to know how to fix it.

In terms of fans right now I have...

Intake:
1x generic 80mm fan 28.8 dba/32cfm
1x Antec 80mm fan (came w/ case) 30dba/34cfn

Outtake
1x Antec 80 mm fan (came w/ case) 30dba/34cfm (on the side panel)
1x generic 80 mm fan 28.8 db/32cfm

CPU FAN
Enermax 92x25 mm variable fan set @ max: 34dba/64 cfm

PSU
Enermax EG465P w/ fan control with the fan set at the quietest settings...

I'm also running an IS7, and the northbridge fan maybe kinda loud? Not too sure about that but... quieting anything could help at this point.

My case is an Antec Performance II Mid Tower: http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?DEPA=0&submit=Go&description=Model:SX635BII

I'm just looking for general tips in order to quiet down my comp, or better yet, something more comprehensive and specific for my case? I'm not sure if I want to actually do any serious modding to my case and I'm definitely sticking w/ air cooling, so any advice regarding would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

You could try 4 Panaflo L1A 80mm fans, 2 for intake and 2 for exhaust. They are rated at 24cfm at 21dba. If you don't think that would be enough airflow for cooling you could try the Panaflo 80mm 12M fans. They are rated for 32cfm at 28dba. The Panaflo's are normally quieter than other fans.
You could also get the Akasa Pax Mate or sound deadening foam. But those would raise the temprature inside the case. Another way is getting rubber gromets to put in between the fans and the case. This would stop any vibration from the fans affecting the case. You would need longer screws to make that happen. Fan speed controllers also work well, like the Sunbeam Rheobus or Vantec Nexus.

I think the place to start is to cut out all of the fan grids.Usually after this procedure is performed the noise level is lowered,because the fans aren't restricted by the fan grids.These are the stamped metal grids in front or behind your fans.You dont need diff. fans.When you get the restricters out you can actually turn the fans speed down.Due to the fact it has the air available now.The noise is the air trying to get thru the grids.A fan controller is recommended to adjust the fan speeds as to adjust
case pressure and flow.Try this before you spend money and still have a noisy or hot rig.No noise, no COOL.But we can lessen it.
THE FANMAN:cool:

PS: Heres a link that may be of use to you:
MOD LINK :D

PS: I agree with the rubber grommets,since you'll have the fans out any way.

Last edited:
You say you have the IS-7? Do you have the new NB fan? Abit is sending them out free because the one that came with the board is loud and has defects.
Another vote for the rubber gromets, they stop the case from resonating. Its amazing how much of that buzzing noise this makes.

How can I get this free NB fan?? Should I e-mail Abit about this? Thanks a lot for the info guys, especially this northbridge thing lol. I could definitely use to quiet that down.

You can either E-mail them or call thier tech support number. I had to do the same thing when the stock fan on my AMD HSF quit. AMD was really quick getting the fan out. I'm sure ABit will be the same way :)

I don't know what other people have had to deal with Abit, but I will stick with them if they keep on having great customer service. I emailed them asking about the NB HS, they said they are replacing them. I emailed back with my info and asked for a I/O plate, mine had gone missing. In about a week, it was all here, from The Netherlands to Finland.

I agree with Sharkman, going with the Panaflo's is the best decision you could make for having a uBer-quiet PC. They push way more air than the noise that they produce. I remember when I first go my Panaflo's from macklin01, I plugged them in and I didn't hear anything. I thought they were defective until I looked at them and put my ear next to them. All I felt was a rush of cold air running past.

They might say that they are 21dBa and 28dBa, I really think that they are much quieter than that. More like 5-15 dBa on the these fans. If you are gonna opt for the Panaflo's, I say that you should get 2 M1A's as intakes and L1A's as your outtakes. You want more positive air pressure than negative. This also helps reduce the amount of dust that might build up in your system.

Sorry about being long-winded, this is just my $0.02 cents.

I agree with Sharkman, going with the Panaflo's is the best decision you could make for having a uBer-quiet PC. They push way more air than the noise that they produce. I remember when I first go my Panaflo's from macklin01, I plugged them in and I didn't hear anything. I thought they were defective until I looked at them and put my ear next to them. All I felt was a rush of cold air running past.

They might say that they are 21dBa and 28dBa, I really think that they are much quieter than that. More like 5-15 dBa on the these fans. If you are gonna opt for the Panaflo's, I say that you should get 2 M1A's as intakes and L1A's as your outtakes. You want more positive air pressure than negative. This also helps reduce the amount of dust that might build up in your system.

Panaflo's are great, but if and when you can, replace small fans with bigger fans. This generally decreases noise, increases airflow, and lowers the pitch. (so it's not an annoying whine.)

Barring that, try giving your fans a 7V mod. It does decrease the airflow, but it quiets them down quite a bit.

The ambitious can go with water cooling.

Can somebody post a linky for some decent rubber grommets??? I'm having trouble finding some of these... They sound pretty tempting, if they'll make a noticable difference in quieting down a noisy rig. ;)

YellowDart said:
Can somebody post a linky for some decent rubber grommets??? I'm having trouble finding some of these... They sound pretty tempting, if they'll make a noticable difference in quieting down a noisy rig. ;)

-=[bump]=-

Back