• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need to cool, advice please!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Quattro

Hi,
I have an Epox 8RDA+ mobo, an AMD 2100+ XP chip, a GeForce 4 Ti4400, 2 x 256MB DDR PC2100 (unbranded) RAM.

I have a heatsink and fan that is rated for an AMD 2800+.
an exhaust fan, but the case is off most times anyway.

I need to cool it, the CPU operates at about 45*C and the internal is running at bout 24*C.

What is the first thing I should do to cool it off.
Because I keep trying to overclock but as soon as the FSB goes up to 140Mhz it overheats, I daren't put the voltage up because I am going to kill it off if it goes any hotter.

So please give me some good advice, I don't want to go the road of water cooling or I don't want to spend massive amounts of money either. Because after Christmas I am going to get a new motherboard and new chipset.

Thanks,
James

Look into a Thermalright SK7 heatsink. That'll help with your temps a lot. Plus, you can get a nice, quiet 80mm fan to go with it.

Also, you may want to look into some new RAM. PC2100 just doesn't cut it...

Whats the best site for the Thermalright SK7 heatsink and the 80mm fan. Would it be a good idea to get a "extension" sort fo thing so I can turn a 80mm into a 120mm fan?

BTW, what part of Oregon do you live?
I used to visit Portland a lot, and nearly lived there.

First I will say Welcome to the Forums! Quattro :)

Another option would be the SLK-900 and a 92mm fan. You also want to have your case closed. Reason being its better to have air flowing through the case in a direct line. Also with the case closed it would quiet down your system a bit. It would be helpful if you could post what case you have. That way we could recommend fans for the case other than the exhaust you currently have. Best scenerio would be to have one case fan in the bottom front along with your exhaust. I agree to get some newer ram.

Edit:

Check this Thread for vendors you can order from. It has a large selection :)

Yeah I think some high quality PC3200 RAM is required.
My case is just a crappy generic tower that I have had for years, I mean YEARS. I think maybe an investiment in a nice tower would help. I would like to get about 2.1Ghz out of my AMD 2100+ ultimately, with more serious cooling, and hopfully some help from everyone of here.
Thanks for the welcome.
Is Corsair the best RAM?

I've just taken off my heatsink cleaned it through and re-fitted it with some more of that thermal stuff. I cleaned the rest of it out too. Does anyone know of any good online shops to buy RAM and cases from?

Thanks for your help!

I think that right now an slk900a would be a good buy. As for the ram, a few weeks ago newegg had some realy good buffalo ram, but hte best for the money right now seems to be mushkin pc3200.

Sharkman said:
Edit:

Check this Thread for vendors you can order from. It has a large selection :)

In the Vendor thread link above you can find a lot of US shops that will ship internationally. Along with a lot of UK shops as well. I apologize for not making that clearer in my first post.

Edit:

Yes Directron does but you would have to prepay all expenses before they will ship. Check here for thier shipping policy.

Hello!
I've been on the www.directron.com, do they delivery to the UK?
As unfortunatly thats where I currently reside, until Florida decides they want me.

Thanks for the advice.

Oh thats great thanks.
They seem to have very good prices.
I particulary like there cases, and I need one anyway as mine is basically crap <=(Not sure on what words are suitable on this forum)

I have just been on a different site and a couple of people have got there AMD 1700+ to run at 2.3Ghz how is this possible what cooling must they use? Or could they live out in artic?

I can't buy from directron, they won't ship to the UK?
Why? Does anyone know any other shops I can buy off?

Heres a link to check out .I know they will ship to the middle east.
I hear the shipping cost more than the orders though.Ck. and see! THE FANMAN:cool:

LINK :D

Quattro,
My friend, ArBiTaL24, in Southampton, UK has dealt with Overclock.co.uk & Overclockers UK. I think he's had rather good luck with them. Overclockers.co.uk has a nice deal HERE for £23.43 inc. VAT. This should keep your CPU nice & cool. If you want better cooling , look at other Thermalright products at these sites. For thermal paste, Arctic Silver Ceramique is OK, but from what I've seen Arctic Silver 5 is significantly better. OcUK looks like they have some decent deals on memory. Good Luck!
-Dave

Hello,
Yes they seem to be good UK sites. Thanks for recomending that heatsink hopefully it will get my CPU temperatures down I have just found out by logging in the backgrounf that while 3d Mark is running my CPU temp goes up to a recorded 69*C!!!
That is terrible.

It looks as if it is fitted alright it is all attached properly with the entire base of the heatsink in contact with the CPU.
Is there another problem maybe that I haven't realised yet?

Back