• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Panaflo Hydro Bearing fans

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bam Margera

Registered
I'm looking at some hydro bearing Panaflo 92 MM fans from SVC. Anyone have an idea what the reliability is like on these? I had a pair of the Zalman ball bearing fans dump out on me after about a year of 24/7 service.

And is there signficant noise reduction? The price is similar to ball bearing fans of the same size and CFM...

well, as far as the bearings go, they are sleeve bearing, but very high quality

panaflos are not as likely to fail as most other fans are, and the sleeve bearings make them somewhat quieter

I like mine

So, given free choice, should I stick with ball bearing fans? If there's a significant noise reduction and comparable service life I'll go with the hydro bearing models.

According to SVC's site, the decibel ratings between the 92 MM Panaflo Hydro bearing and the 92 MM Zalman that I had before are almost identical... I guess I'll order one of each.

Pansonic Panflos are awesome fans...cfm vs. dba and pressure beat most fans on the market...And are way quieter than any fan I have put them up that has the same dba spec by the manufacturer...Papst are also sleeved bearing...Considered by many as the PC Power and Cooling of the fan world...I have never had a Panflo fail...They work great when 7 volted unlike alot of fans I have tried...Sanyo Denki are also supposed to be great fans...For the money Panflos' are hard to beat...;)

Hookem said:
Pansonic Panflos are awesome fans...cfm vs. dba and pressure beat most fans on the market...And are way quieter than any fan I have put them up that has the same dba spec by the manufacturer...Papst are also sleeved bearing...Considered by many as the PC Power and Cooling of the fan world...I have never had a Panflo fail...They work great when 7 volted unlike alot of fans I have tried...Sanyo Denki are also supposed to be great fans...For the money Panflos' are hard to beat...;)

Exactly what I was gonna say. Panaflo's are the best fans on the market IMHO. These fanw will not let you down. From my experience, they will probably exceed your expectations.

As you have seen with your zalman, a ball bearing fan is no guarantee against failure. I built pcs for a living for a decade on a large scale, and I can tell you from experience that sleeve bearing fans do not preclude long life. The quality of the bearing itself, rather than the type, is the biggest factor. Quality doesn't get much higher than Panaflo. The other big factor for fan life is dirt, so filter your case's airflow if you really care about fan life.

Agreed.
My Panaflo 120mm fan is the first fan that I bought for watercooling, and it's the only fan that's still running (after 4 years).
I've abused mine too. It's run fine at 5 volts, it's been soaked in a bong project gone wrong, it's been coated in hardwater deposits in the next bong, it's had it's shroud cut off and replaced, and it is still the quietest and most trusted fan I own.

Can't go wrong, but I'd take better care of it than I have....:D

Back