• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wierd cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tazon

i have this piece of equipment from a car's air conditioner, i don't know the name for it in english but it's like a radiator, it is a set of interlocked aluminum cavities where water circulates so that air can move through the mesh and cool water down. i also have a water pump from a family aquarium. can this be turned into watercooling for a PC? i was thinking of running a copper duct (sold at freezer repair shops) to the copper heatsink on the CPU, and having the duct run between the flaps on the heatsink. this duct would be connected to the pump and the radiator, and my powerful coolers would go in the radiator instead of in the case. watcha think? i can still leave the fan on the heatsink there i guess.

emilio

i dont understand what your asking..

Are u thinking of hooking it up to the heatsink u already have? you need a waterblock for your CPU.

excuse me if i read wrong.

I think what he wants to do is run a piece of copper tube between the fins on the heatsink. Sorry, but this won't work at all, because you won't have a good thermal interface between the water and the heat source. You will need to obtain a waterblock, which is designed to have water run through it, and it replaces your heatsink.

mmmphhhhfhgjfgdñfgyeah, i guess that would be a baaad contact between the water and the core. can i just throw cool water on the core?:D

i'll figure out a way to do this, after all a copper waterblock is not undoable.

emilio

a copper waterblock is not undoable.

Please explain what you mean by this.

You could box in the heat sink and run water through it. Make sure you don't have any leaks though

This would work, but I would reccomend that you either start from scratch or purchase a waterblock rather than use a feebily constructed waterblock that is optimized for air.

geez, thanks for the "support" guys . . . :D

i promise i'll post pics of the smoking debris

emilio

squeakygeek said:

What are you trying to imply? That people who water-cool their computers are fools? Watercooling is not as dangerous as you think.

lol I watercool my computer.

But I use a waterblock, not running water over a heatsink. :D

Back