• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Swiftech MCX159-P versus Stock Abit IS7 NB HSF

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Toaster Oven

Swiftech MCX159-P versus stock Abit IS7 NB HSF

Right now, I'm looking for a way to quiet my system. I have 2 120mm fans for the case, one 92mm Panaflo for the SP-94, and I'm running an Antec Truepower 430 PSU. All of those components are sufficiently quiet for me. But the NB HSF has an annoying whine which I'd like to get rid of. It's by far the loudest component in my system. Will the Swiftech MCX159 be significantly quieter? Or am I just wasting my money if I go for it? Since I'm overclocking, I'd like to stick with an active cooling solution for the NB and I'd like to avoid anything that requires epoxy or glue.

BTW, the IS7 has the newer revised fan.

Re: Swiftech MCX159-P versus stock Abit IS7 NB HSF

Toaster Oven said:
Right now, I'm looking for a way to quiet my system. I have 2 120mm fans for the case, one 92mm Panaflo for the SP-94, and I'm running an Antec Truepower 430 PSU. All of those components are sufficiently quiet for me. But the NB HSF has an annoying whine which I'd like to get rid of. It's by far the loudest component in my system. Will the Swiftech MCX159 be significantly quieter? Or am I just wasting my money if I go for it? Since I'm overclocking, I'd like to stick with an active cooling solution for the NB and I'd like to avoid anything that requires epoxy or glue.

BTW, the IS7 has the newer revised fan.

The Swiftech mcx159-p has a Sunon KDE1204PKV3 Dc 12volt .6watt 5200rpm, 6.3CFM that produces 18dBA, this fan is basicly inaudible.

The MCX159-P is an excellent choice and I highly recommend it.

If you have the later Abit heatsink (the cool blue orb-style one) it should be essentially silent. It sounds like a defect to me. Abit will likely send you a new one if you call them.

I'm not saying the swiftech isn't nice, it certainly is. But your Abit assembly should be quiet as well.

Thanks for the replies guys

Silversinksam, that's pretty much what I was looking to hear. As soon as I find one in stock, I'll be placing an order.

larva, well the fan isn't defective on my unit. The AI7 I just got to replace it makes the same noise. I guess I'm just sensitive to the type of noise I'm hearing. If I enable FanEQ and drop the voltage to 8 volts (4200rpm), the fan is fairly quiet. But in the interest of reliablity and peace of mind, I think I will just replace it.

Back