• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD retail fan???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

elec.tron

I'm trying to save a few bucks on a non gaming rig for my ex wife so I got a 2500+ barton with the retail HSF. Do these things really work?? It's so freaking small. My plan is to leave the multi at stock, and raise the FSB to 200 only for the pc3200 ram it's getting. Anybody got any experience with these things? Do you think it'll work in this application? Or should I bite the bullet and get some better cooling?
Thanks
elec.tron

They are fine. But, dont install it with the stock TIM. scrape that off, clean and lap it, then put some GOOD thermal goop on.

I had the same situation... Got a Barton 2500+ about 2 months ago, threw it @ 200 and it's been running fine since. Didnt change a thing with the HSF. 50C under load. Obviously your results may vary.

squeakygeek said:
I can't see any problem with trying it and seeing what happens. You can always buy another heatsink.

Yup, that sounds like the plan, as i'll have the machine to play with for a couple weeks....it just looks so weak??!!!

They are fine. But, dont install it with the stock TIM. scrape that off, clean and lap it, then put some GOOD thermal goop on.

Good call, the first thing I did was to scrape off the little grayish square so I could see how badly scored it was hehheh. Luckily I just picked up a lapping kit/arcticsilver ceramique from insulglass at easypckits so i'm set.
Thanks
elec.tron

reverse said:
I had the same situation... Got a Barton 2500+ about 2 months ago, threw it @ 200 and it's been running fine since. Didnt change a thing with the HSF. 50C under load. Obviously your results may vary.

Good deal, probably the biggest load this rig will ever see is Microsoft Office, so maybe this HSF will be fine.
Thanks
elec.tron

I just got done building a system for a friend of mine whom does not overclock, I got him an Athlon XP 2500+ Barton with retail HSF, and a Shuttle Nforce2 Ultra 400 board. Since he is not going to overclock I thought I would just use the stock HSF with the stock TIM applied to it already and see what happened. When I booted up I was extremely suprised to find the CPU running @ 35c!!!! The case had very good airflow and was running lower then my 2000+ AXP at stock speeds with very good airflow as well. In contrast mine was at around 39c with a Aero 7+ at full blast.

Well, im just going to say that this raised an eyebrow and I will be investigating why such a drastic difference given the HSF differemces.

Oh, use the stock HSF, its fine :)

Lapping the stock HSF is a must. Not only the surface is highly irregular, with ridges etc., it's also plated with nickel, which is a very bad thermal conductor. Lap it until the copper underneath it is showing, you'll see a big difference even when not overclocked.

I'm sure I read it in at least 2 or 3 places. The explanation was that they put it on probably to "protect" the copper surface from tarnishing. Before I lapped it, it had a shiny-looking silkvery surface that wasn't either aluminum or silver, and which was a b1tch to remove. Nickel is pretty hard, so it makes sense to me. Either that or chrome, which would be even harder and a worse conductor than nickel is.

stamasd said:
I'm sure I read it in at least 2 or 3 places. The explanation was that they put it on probably to "protect" the copper surface from tarnishing. Before I lapped it, it had a shiny-looking silkvery surface that wasn't either aluminum or silver, and which was a b1tch to remove. Nickel is pretty hard, so it makes sense to me. Either that or chrome, which would be even harder and a worse conductor than nickel is.

Isn't the AMD stock HSF made of aluminum?

Not bolted to the bottom. The amd stock heatsink has a copper slug in the bottom, and its coated with something. Before lapping, the 1800+ I had it on was 47c idle, 59c load. After lapping, 33c idle, 44c load. Definantly worth the $5 extra for it. The only problem I have with it is that stupid 60mm fan.

Well, mine looks just like an all-aluminum HS which afterwards had a copper plate (about 3-4 mm thick) screwed on at the bottom. You can actually see the screw heads, and I assume I could remove them and the copper plate would come off. I can't post pictures as the HS is now in use on a Tualatin celeron. :)

Onlypro said:

What would be the benifit of overclocking this system if that is all you will be using it for? Unless... you plan on folding :)

This machine probably won't be ugraded for some time to come so I deciced to go with PC 3200 which is guarenteed to do 400Mgz, throw in a (on sale) NF7-S and it should be a no brainer/no problem increase in memory bandwidth, for someone thats hardware challenged, 250 miles away.

My stock AMD HS (from a Barton) has no nickle plating, its straing copper slug and aluminum fins.

This one also has no plating, but came with a 0325 2600+ Barton (my January build hehheh) that I found locally. It's going on a locked (I think, comes from Newegg on Thurs) 2500+ Barton.

Thanks
elec.tron

A copper slug? I sawed apart a newer one and it was all copper inside. So the coating is Nickle? Hmm. Amd has changed their stock heatsinks several times I think.

Back