• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

As much as I love amd...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

crimedog

:mad: I really hate how hot they run!! :mad:

I just got a Alpha PAL 8045 and hand lapped it to 2000 grit. Razor thin layer of as3. 80mm Y-S Tech fan (around 43 cfm). I have 2 front 80mm intakes, 2 rear 80mm exausts, top 80mm exaust, side 80mm exaust. I'm taking a dremel to my case soon (it's the Xavier knock-off).
Vcore a tad over stock, running right now at 175x12.5. Idle is usually around 45-48C, Load 51-54C.
My NB is usually around 29-35C with an Iceberq on it.

This really ****es me off, especially when I set my brother's p4c up for a 25% fsb overclock and it stays below 40C with a spark 7 cooler.

Why???? Is it because of the chip's surface area in contact with the cooler? That makes the most sense to me. Whatever it is, AMD should really design chips that don't run so damn hot, as much as I love them.

Why do you guys think they run so friggen hot?

AMD has most always run hotter then intel - they also have a higher thermal limit then intel does - just the way they are designed i beleive...

54 degree diode temps are fine. Stability > Temps.

EDIT: if you're using the NF7-S, that's not the diode temp. Have you flashed to the newest bios?

I'm running my AMD 1700+ at 1.75vcore and 2420Mhz, with load temps of like 45 degrees.

Yeah, those NF7-S BIOS revisions put temps all over the place. Of course, if you think AMD is too hot...wait until Prescott. More heat, less surface area...ouch. They'll think of something, but still.

Not from the diode, but it does report from the sensor under the socket.

At least...mine does...

The reason is most likely what the processor is doing. The AMD procs do more per CPU clock cycle, with less clock cycles to do it in, as compared to intel processors that have WAY more clock cycles to play around in.

It's basically like having a race horse carry a small jockey, and a pony carry some fat dude. The pony is obviously going to sweat more.

Also the reason for stability problems. At least that's my personal experience.

It is running so hot because you have an inferior cooler, Get an slk-900 or something, and you will run in the low 40's would be my guess. And make sure you have the fan sucking the heat off and not blowing down on that HS. It makes about a 2°C difference.

BTW, It Ranks 29th on the www.overclockers.com HS ratings. That is why you have such high temps, and because of your fairly high ambient. Better cooler will solve your problems.

Last edited:
im guessing your side exhaust is whats causing the problems. its msot liekyl stealing the heatsink air so make it intake.

Big_Baller said:
Wheres the testing that supports sucking and not blowing? Its just that I havn't heard of it much.
The fan is suppose to be sucking on the ALPHA PAL Coolers. The test here shows that it works better, sice you probably want proof.Here. But with all other coolers AFAIK, you want the fan blowing Down.

i'll have to try that (side exaust and inverting cpu fan).
do you think the fact that i'm missing the shroud will make a difference?

Back