• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How loud will cooling be for the Athlon FX?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IceWilly

I am thinking about stepping up to 64 bit computing for my next system. Does anyone know how the Temps/Noise Level will be for non water cooling solutions. ie slk-800, volcanoes, etc.

i don't know much about how hot these new cpus run, and I really don't want a loud system. I just can't afford to watercool.

thanks

Cooling won't be any harsher than normal... They aren't that different. It just depends on how well you want to cool it.

Wait hang on you cant afford to watercool but are considering an FX!!?? (or do you mean the standard a64?)
Anyway as for the FX's they run on a par with current P4's (but cooler than the proposed Prescotts and EE's).

Well... I am not going to build this rig until summer. So i am assuming a decent Fx Cpu will be more around 500$ range or so i hope. Fact is i doubt i can make enough money this summer to build this computer, and i REALLY doubt i will have enough after that to watercool it.

Start saving! I'm happy that the prommies are down to about $500, my christmas present to myself is gonna be one of those, and then perhaps a socket 939 when those come out, any word on when?

well, i've got a 3200+ cooled by a zalman 7ka-alcu on a k8n-nxp and its doing something like 34 degrees LOAD in the worst ventilated case money can proally buy, much less there's a 9800 in there also (though after i zalman'ed the 9800 i think load temps jumped to 38 celcius, but i'm not sure if that was the only reason yet)

oh yeah, btw, pop ur heatspreader

helps temps by 5 degrees celcius

Back